Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing wheel studs on an '85

JoBu

Corvette
1985 Silver Coupe
Greetings,

I picked up a set of polished C5 Z06 rims to put on my '85 but unfortunately, when mounted with the adapters, they do not sit flush. There is not enough cut-out in the back of the rim to allow room for the lug nuts on the adapters. Instead of modifying the adapters (I have concerns of weakness if I do) I've decided to replace my studs with new ones that are 3/4" longer. I'll then use 3/4" spacers to correct for offset and still have plenty of thread length for the lug nuts.

My question is this: At a quick glance, there seems to be a dust/debris shield on the back of the hub. Do I need to remove this to access the studs and if so, is it a pretty straight-forward job?

Thanks in advance for any/all inputs.

Cheers,

Joe

If I'm not mistaken yes, you would need to remove the shield in order to replace the studs. There is 3 bolts holding the shield in place. 10mm wrench will take them off. There is enough clearance between the hub and shield for the bolts to come out. Once you remove the shield bolts it slides out. The caliper & rotor would need to be removed first. 2 bolts hold the caliper housing and removing those allow the caliper to come out as a unit. Used lock tight when reinstalling the caliper housing bolts. It is a simple job.

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this. I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom