Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repainting Rally wheels

Corvette
1972 Coupe ZZ4 / 4 Speed
I've got original 15x8 rally wheels on a 1972 and the gray/silver paint isn't looking too good.

I've found the correct spray paint. Is there anything I should be doing to prep the wheels before painting? Any tips that produce better results?

Thanks guys,

-Gooney0

Well as usual the best way isnt always the easiest way.I do alot of these wheels but they arent for me so go to the extreme.I bead blast them until they are paint and rust free .Then I prime them inside ,backside and front side with DP 90 epoxy primer and paint the front side with the silver rally paint that you have purchased.That maybe more than you want to go through.
If it is just degrease them ,use some ajax on a scotchbrite/scouring pad and scrub them clean.Then paint em. :beer

If it is just degrease them ,use some ajax on a scotchbrite/scouring pad and scrub them clean.Then paint em. :beer [/B]

The key is to clean them well so the paint adheres

I cleaned mine with a brush and dishwashing detergent real good. Then I used scotch brite and roughed them up pretty good. I painted the backside black first and then painted the front the ralley wheel silver that you have. Still have some on the shelf too for touch ups.

I bead blasted mine and the primed front back and inside. Then I painted the backs first with the black. THen paint the front silver and let the overspray shoot thorugh the slots--if you are looking for a factory look. That's how Kelsey shot the original wheels.

I will need to do the same at some point - was wondering if the paint was availble at your local parts store or did you order it through one of the vendor catalogs?

They have many different shades of "wheel" paint.None of them spefically say chevy or corvette wheel paint.You would have to buy 2 or 3 different cans and see which one matches the best.:beer

I painted mine black. They look really good with the chrome hub and rings. I've actually gotten a lot of positive comments. :w

77vette said:
I painted mine black. They look really good with the chrome hub and rings. I've actually gotten a lot of positive comments. :w

I think the dark blue will have the same affect.

I used a paint back in the 70's to paint my rims that had a plastic in it. It was very durable and took about 24 hours to dry. Do they still make it?

I used a paint back in the 70's to paint my rims that had a plastic in it. It was very durable and took about 24 hours to dry. Do they still make it?
It depends on how you look at it .I dont know what it was exactly that you used but todays automotive paint is basically a plactic.I should say it has the same basic chemical make up( wow I sound like a geek)All of todays paints are urethane that is chemically cured just like a true plastic.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom