Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repair of stripped out fiberglass for screws 1961 Vette

VetteFreak101

Corvette
1961 Corvette, 1989 Corvette
Hello all. The dash to completing my restoration is coming along nicely. I have the usual setbacks from time to time and this is one of them. I went to install my kick panels yesterday and some of the screws went in and got tight. Some of them however were stripped out. My idea to repair them was to inject some epoxy glue into the hole, then drill and run the screws in again. I was not sure that it would work, but felt it was worth a shot. Anyone have a similar problem? How did you solve this issue?

I'm certainly no expert, but I have seen it done two different ways.

1) Similar to what you're thinking about doing, but I have seen guys take a small piece of fiberglass mat (you can buy at auto parts store) and then use a good epoxy (usually comes with the 'glass mat anyway). Let is set up, then sand smooth then re-drill your holes. I think if you just inject the epoxy in there it will eventually just crumble away after awhile with the vibration and torsioinal twisting of these cars and you'll be back at square one.

2) I've seen guys use the plastic wall anchors like you would use in wallboard to hang a picture. This usually works better in steel or other metal areas. If you use these in the 'glass holes you may end up just enlarging the hole and up with a really big hole to have to repair.

Just my $0.02 and there are certainly much more qualified people on this site who will likely have better ideas than I do.

Bernie O

2) I've seen guys use the plastic wall anchors like you would use in wallboard to hang a picture. This usually works better in steel or other metal areas. If you use these in the 'glass holes you may end up just enlarging the hole and up with a really big hole to have to repair.

Just my $0.02 and there are certainly much more qualified people on this site who will likely have better ideas than I do.

Bernie O

I've used the plastic drywall anchors many times for non-structural attachments in fiberglass, and they work great. For attachments that are more highly stressed, Corvette Central sells a fiberglass hole mount repair kit (their #131125) that includes pre-cut steel repair plates with two holes in them, plus 1/8" pop-rivets to attach them, to the back side of the fiberglass panel. Then you drill the hole for the original tapping screw using the part as the template, and you're in business.

HoleRepairKit.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom