Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replace Front Spoiler?

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
My '95 red coupe is in really great external condition. Paint, wheels, are excellent. But my front spoilers are fairly scared up - they seem to keep scraping on those parking barriers! Some damage may be mine, from not being used to the car, and some may be earlier. The two sides ones aren't TOO bad, but the center is worse.

Anyhow, should I replace them, as without a doubt they are the worst looking external part of the car? I am concerned that they will just get scared up again. The car is driven, although not every day.

Experiences?

Thanks, Bob

Don't know if you've checked prices yet. You can get the whole thing replaced for around $50. I think you can even get just the center section replaced for a good bit cheaper. You can find them online or through GM. All the stores seem to want the same price, so check on shipping. If you go through a GM dealer call ahead 'cause it's a "special order" part. No shipping at least. It may help with airflow to the radiator too.

:w

[QUOTE But my front spoilers are fairly scared up - they seem to keep scraping on those parking barriers! Some damage may be mine, from not being used to the car, and some may be earlier.
Anyhow, should I replace them, as without a doubt they are the worst looking external part of the car? I am concerned that they will just get scared up again. Thanks, Bob[/QUOTE]
Seems to me you answered your own question. If you drive more than one vehicle and the other has a short nose like a small FWD car, it is hard to get used to parking a car with a long front end.

OLDCHEV said:
It is an integral part of the cooling system (airflow).
Not sure of your point. I was going to replace them, not remove them.

Bob

Bob, I think he may be trying to say that if they are distorted in any way it could affect the airflow to the radiator, and hence the cooling. You did say they are scarred up.
I do need to change mine, because they have made several contacts with those parking lot curbs! :nono:nono

:Steer:w

Replace them, I replaced mine. Its not too difficult to do.
BTW, Sometimes if you drive over the bumbs slower, you won't scrape.
Parking barriers, I just don't park close to them.

OK - thanks all for your help!

Bob

By all means replace them - it's easy and relatively inexpensive. They are designed to be used up and replaced as necessary - sorta like tires and brakes.

The air dams are required for proper cooling and to maintain aero balance at speed.

If they are chewed up or, worse, missing, the air will flow under the car at speed rather that up into the A/C and radiator. If you do a lot of highway miles in the summer, you will see hotter temps on the gauges if they are missing. Looking scruffy doesn't mean they don't work however - just so long as they aren't bent up and really out of place.

Later,

Hi Tuna - thanks. No, they're not bent up, just scratched and scraped. The center one seems to be intact and coupled to the bottom of the radiator OK.

Bob

My center was bent up quite a ways. The aluminum brace riveited to it was trashed. I made a new brace with heavier metal. This brought it down nicely and I even noticed a bit of a temp drop on the temp guage. It is still a little scarred up but way down under most people don't see it. I hope.:eyerole
:w
I should have called it a reinforcement channel not the brace.

i went to the big box home improvement store and got a length of garage door bottom seal.was about the same shape and more flexible to get over the hi spots in the road. it works fine for me.

Get used to replacing them if the appearance bothers you; they're going to scrape no matter how careful you are. It's just a fact of life for those of us with later model year Corvettes. :eyerole

Well, I guess that's it, then. I went out and cleaned them up with some tire shine stuff, and they look, well, OK. Off to worry about other stuff, like tires and shocks.

Thanks all, Bob

Just replaced mine on New Year's Eve. Took about 10 minutes with the Vette on a lift. Was gonna get just the center piece (I can barely get outta my own driveway without a scrub and a scape), but decided to get the 3-piece just to be persnickety.
MidAmerica Motorworks has 'em on sale and their delivery service is fast. :w
:Steer

Thanks - that sure was quick - unfortunately I don't have a handy lift! But one of my clients that is an auto body place said they would do it for me.

Thanks, Bob

gmpartsdirect.com

10149263 Deflector
10149264 Deflector
10149265 Deflector

$12.63 + $2.53 shipping ea.

(9/23/04 prices)

I did mine on Rhino Ramps. No lift necessary.

C4 91-96 front spoilers

Hi Bob, Here's the GM part numbers on the spoilers. Center section # 10149265. LH spoiler # 10149263. RH spoiler # 10149264. These can be ordered from any GM dealer parts deptment. List price is $22.49 a piece for each section. Good Luck. Save the Wave.>George

Thanks KOPBET and lt1george! I was able to find them on gmpartsdirect.com as you stated.

What about hardware (screws, clips, etc). Any problem getting them off? Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks, Bob

NC2Stay said:
What about hardware (screws, clips, etc). Any problem getting them off? Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks, Bob
Just basic hardware, 10mm screws. If I remember correctly, the left and right sections need to come off before the center section.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom