Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

replace spark plugs

vette.vato

Corvette
2004 coup/commemorative edition
Is it difficult to change out the spark plugs in a 2004 corvette? Do I need to take it to a dealer or can I do it myself, I am not a do-it-yourselfer, but, I think it shouldnt be that hard to do, or am I wrong.

Is it difficult to change out the spark plugs in a 2004 corvette? Do I need to take it to a dealer or can I do it myself, I am not a do-it-yourselfer, but, I think it shouldnt be that hard to do, or am I wrong.
No,It's not rocket science,purdy easy actually!:thumb
But you'll need to change out the wires too!:thumb:thumb

How many miles are on the car?
What makes you think it needs them?

:beer

Changing the plugs on a C5 is fairly easy. Here are some tips.

You need a ⅜-drive flex ratchet, a short extension and a spark plug socket. You may want a ⅜-drive universal joint.

When you go to buy plugs avoid stupid marketing ideas like E3, Split-Fire or Bosch multi-electrode. OE Delco is good. If you want a premium aftermarket plug consider the Denso Iridium-Power spark plugs. The Denso IT-20 is a good choice.

Change plugs when the engine is cold.

When you pull the plug wires off, they'll have metal sleeves around the plug-end connectors. Reuse those sleeves.

If your engine is really dirty and you have an air compressor, put your blow gun on the hose and blow all the dirt away from the base of each spark plug.

Breaking the existing plugs loose may take a hard pull on the ratchet.

Tighten the new plugs to about 15-lbs/ft or with a typical flex ratchet...kinda tight, but not pulling-with-all-your-strength tight.

Good luck.

I'm a Ham operator and there are a lot of misconceptions about dielectric grease.

So here is an FYI about dielectric grease:

Heat sinks

Car forums repeat a few myths about greases. Forums usually claim dielectric grease thermally insulates connections. Forums also claim dielectric grease electrically insulates connections, such as in connectors and on battery posts. Neither is true.
Dielectric Grease vs Conductive Grease

Connectors

In radio frequency low power installations, in particular at low frequencies and/or when the connector has very little air gap, completely flooding the connector is perfectly acceptable. Flooding a connector is not acceptable at high power, because most greases will carburize when subjected to an arc. They will also change the dielectric constant, lowering the dielectric constant in the connector. This will create an impedance bump at very high frequencies, the problem's effect on the system being entirely dependent on the length of the bump in electrical degrees and the amount of the bump. (Not all things that show on a TDR are meaningful.)

In regular low voltage multiple-pin circuit connectors, such as automotive applications, flooding with a proper insulating grease of low-viscosity dielectric grease is perfectly acceptable unless a manufacturer recommends against it. The grease should have good stability and not contain metals in any form, and be specifically designed for use as a dielectric grease. This generally is a silicone dielectric grease, although some Teflon based greases are acceptable.

In single low-voltage terminals or connections, such as metal-to-metal joints, grounds, or battery posts, almost any pure grease of light viscosity will be acceptable. Caution should be used with greases containing metallic powders to be sure any metal is compatible with the embedded grease metal. Connection enhancement from embedded metal powder is very minor, if it exists at all, and there is increased risk of bad connections if the metal powder has any interaction with the base metals.

In single high voltage connections, such as spark plug boots or other high voltage connectors (x-ray, neon sign, or HV power lines), only pure dielectric silicone greases should be used. Generally a light coating or wipe is all that is required. Dielectric grease will actually increase voltage breakdown across insulators, especially in the presence of moisture. Never use or allow a metalized grease around HV connections.

The important physical characteristic is that any grease must have low enough viscosity to push out of the way at contact points, be water or liquid resistant, and be stable enough to remain in place as a protectant against moisture and air for a long time. It will not do any good to apply a grease that does not do required functions of excluding air and moisture, and lubricating the interface to prevent galling or fretting, for extended periods of time.
Dielectric Grease vs Conductive Grease

If dielectric grease insulates a spark plug from the connector; it means the connector has an air gap (too loose) or it is time to replace the wires not the grease.

Hope this helps clear matters up about dielectric grease.

I too am a Ham operator and engineer. There is some merit to what KPIC says and it will work in some applications where the fit is tight and the dielectric layer is almost nonexsistent. Most of these applications "swipe" the conducting surfaces and leave the dielectric at the edges to prevent moisture and corrosion. It can also prevent "leakage" current from the connection.

With that said, dielectric is not a conductor so just remember that when you use it. That is why none of the manufactures direct it's use in the conducting path. Not Permatex or any other major suppliers. You will notice in the various suppliers use guidance they say to only use it on spark plug ceramic to boot interfaces and not at the electric connection.

Peace out everybody. Mr. Sam

I didn't say much at all, so any merit or lack thereof belongs to W8JI, not me. In fact, I was educated by W8JI.

The most frequent Internet complaint is that dielectric grease insulates connections, making connections less conductive. The general basis for this claim is in the word "dielectric" used in the name. The word dielectric is assumed to mean the connection will have future problems because "dielectrics" are insulators. Generally, authors predict greases with powdered metal (in slang "conductive greases") will improve or maintain connection quality over time while dielectric greases will isolate connections because "that is what dielectrics do".

To be honest, until I read W8JI's page, I was one of the "that is what dielectrics do" crowd and I've ruined plenty of spark plug boots to prove it. :D
However, I cannot refute what W8JI stated as he tested and has years of experience in that sector of industry. No matter if it is QRP or QRO power, RF is a lot more sensitive than AC or DC.

To seal RF connections, I use a liberal application of Coax tape. I also use it on spliced wire antennas. After years in service in the elements, the connectors or splice look as new as when they were installed. A splice of stranded wire will show some wicking between the strands. I would have never flooded a connection with dielectric or conductive grease. However, I did learn from W8JI.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom