Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

replace the Heater core

Red73BB

Corvette
1969 dark red convert
I need to replace the heater core on my '69. Without removing the A/C parts in the engine compartment is there an easier way to do the replacement?
First I will try Stopleak to see if that does the trick.

Thanks,
Gary

Word of caution- Stopleak is a temporary fix and may cause you problems with plugging in the radiator. Best to bite the bullet and fix it properly.

When you get the new core, apply some low pressure air to it, cap the other end, and drop it a bucket of water to check for leaks. The quality on cores is not what it once was and you don't want to go through all the work on an a/c car to find it as a leak! Been there and it wasn't fun. On a non a/c car you can swap the core from the firewall but an a/c car will require a tear down- unless someone found a better way.
Good luck.

You can try a product called steel seal. I've never used it but its supposed to be a permanent fix compared to other related products.

I wouldn't put that or any other stuff in the system.....water ALWAYS wins and you eventually end up tearing it out just to leave that slime in the walls of your system.
I did mine in an afternoon with AC....my only advise is to remember that there is a screw that is attached from inside the engine compartment. ( mine is a '73)....other than that its not too big of a task.
Good luck. :w

Do not use "stop leak" products.

Yes, in some cases, they can seal leaks.

Unfortunately, they do this by coating the inside of the cooling system with a thin, pliable coating which inhibits transfer of heat from the engine cooling jackets to the coolant. So, yes, your leak might be sealed but the cooling system does not cool as well afterwards.

Replace the heater core or have it repaired.

Thanks for the replies

I did replace the core by removing the dash and accessing the heater box. It takes time, but at least iI feel that if was done correctly. I search the web and found a couple of do-it-yourself sites w/pictures. very helpful

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom