Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Replace Tires - By Age?

D

DrNavyRet

When should you replace the original Goodyear RF's? My '04 has 8950 miles and there are still nubs on my tires and plenty of tread. I know that as a tire gets older, the rubber gets harder (but RF's are hard to being with). There is no cracking on the sidewalls and they hold air like a champ; I have people chomping on the bit to buy my old tires since I mentioned to them that I may be replacing them. Obviously, I don't drive the car a lot; it is a garage queen - I bought the car with 7200 miles 18 months ago. I don't smoke the tires and drive it like the grandpa that I am; no "drive it like you stole it" driving style here. So, as a matter of safety, given what I have described, should I replace my "near new but old" Goodyears or keep them?

I purchase all my tires and wheels @ his store...

C5LS6Roadster-ValueTire.jpg

Check the age of the tires on the sidewall. They may date back to 02.

Why 5 years? Your rule? How did you arrive at that decision. I did not check the date of the tires, but once again, whether a tire is 9 years old or 11 years old, what are the deciding factors as to they "have to be replaced." As an aside, and I'm not saying that state inspections are all knowing and perfect, but there is no rule that says the tires have to be "5 years old or younger" only that they have so many 32nd's of tread left. It's almost like I'm asking how often to change your oil and everyone has their own theory, but whether it's oil or tires, when is replacement a matter of science.

Thanks; I will be changing my tires this summer. It is interesting though how the current scientific explanation is from tire manufacturers. It is reminiscent of recommended oil changes every 3000 miles and then, after some "real science," from 5000 miles to 15000 miles dependent on the oil used, the mode of driving and age of the engine.

Certain things make sense. Ten or eleven year old rubber is not something that most people want to ramble down the road on at 75MPH. Advances in rubber compounding means that you can't usually tell when rubber is dry and/or brittle like in the old days. Even radiator hoses look good right up to the time they blow out. That's why the new recommendations mostly rely on age rather than "inspection." I just replaced windshield wipers on my one year old Volt because they were worthless, but they looked good.

Last edited:
A lot would depend on if the car was stored out of the sun and weather thus preventing dry rot and weather checking. You could possibly nurse them along driving easy if they have been well kept. On the other hand it would be good to start fresh and then you know what you got. We usually run our tires down to the wear bars so its easy for us to tell when we need new ones.

On our 30 foot toy hauler Jayco camper a few years back, the tires looked good and were about 6 years old. Probably 10 to 15 thousand miles on them is all. I looked at them and said....they'll make one more trip......Uh huh....100 degrees out and I'm trying to change a blown tire that has wrapped itself around the axel and done damage to the camper. Had to use a hacksaw to cut it off. I 80 traffic was relentless and I made the kids sit over by the fence while my wife tried to keep the cars and trucks from running into us....nice vacation, hope it gets better.

My point is don't mess with them, put some new shoes on your baby....

How to Know when Car Tires Need Replacing: 7 steps - wikiHow

After 2 years the GY tires of that vintage have hardened which is not only annoying for noise reasons, they lose grip as well. As someone pointed out the tires could date a couple of years prior to the age of the car making them well beyond useful life. In Europe tires that are over 8 years old are considered unroadworthy.

I am the second owner as I mentioned. The previous owner was like me in that the car was in a garage and covered when not driven [from 2004 - 2011 his wife only put 7200 miles on her; his vette was a 70+? 454 that he had in the garage as well. They mostly drove a pickup and an SUV. So I am inclined to wait till late spring to get new rubber. Thanks for all your information.

I have found that the GYF1's tend to dryrot a bit early. I couldn't say in years what the duration is, but I'd have to guess there is no significant problems, other than dry rot. Oddly, the dry rot I've seen in these tires seem to start between the read blocks and run around the circumfrence of the tire, rather than on the sidewall. Myself, I wouldn't have any problem running these tires over 5 years, providing there's no cracks running through the treads. I would agree though that the rubber tends to lose some of it's grippy qualities after it gets 4 or 5 years old, but the conservative way you describe driving, I doubt it would be a problem.

Orignal Tires

When should you replace the original Goodyear RF's? My '04 has 8950 miles and there are still nubs on my tires and plenty of tread. I know that as a tire gets older, the rubber gets harder (but RF's are hard to being with). There is no cracking on the sidewalls and they hold air like a champ; I have people chomping on the bit to buy my old tires since I mentioned to them that I may be replacing them. Obviously, I don't drive the car a lot; it is a garage queen - I bought the car with 7200 miles 18 months ago. I don't smoke the tires and drive it like the grandpa that I am; no "drive it like you stole it" driving style here. So, as a matter of safety, given what I have described, should I replace my "near new but old" Goodyears or keep them?

I have a 1984 Corvette with 16000 original miles and have the original tires on it. The tread is great but seems to ride hard. I replaced the shocks already. Should I replace the tires?

I have a 1984 Corvette with 16000 original miles and have the original tires on it. The tread is great but seems to ride hard. I replaced the shocks already. Should I replace the tires?

I wouldn't drive a car with 30 year old tires, regardless of miles. Don't throw them away though, the NCRS inspectors will giggle like a little girl if it's presented for inspection with the original OEM rubber. You might even be able to sell the originals to someone doing Bloomington Gold.

only if you intend to actually drive the car and not risk your life and others around you. Goodyear tires, especially of that vintage tended to harden within a couple of years. Hard tires = bad grip. After about 8 years from date of manufacture tires tend to deteriorate just from exposure. I wouldn't even come close to risking my life with those tires. They are collector items for show only.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom