Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replaced convertible top, now it's too tight and doesn't seal in the back

jss101

Corvette
2014 Z51
Have any of you had experience with this? I've searched this forum but couldn't find anything.
The glass separated from the fabric of the top. I went to a professional Auto Upholstery guy who seemed to know what he was doing. He did a great repair on my front seat, and also replaced the top. The only problem is that it's so tight that it doesn't quite reach down to the car body in the back, and so doesn't seal. If I were to wash the car or drive in a hard rain I'd get water inside.

He claims that the top will stretch out in the sun. I know that they do stretch some, but this seems like it's done wrong, and I shouldn't have this problem. :mad

Any thoughts on this!?
Thanks!!

Yeah, it's wrong. If he supplied the top for you and installed it, then he needs to fix it and make it right. If you supplied the top for him to install, then he could say that it is the parts fault and he could be correct, and things could get a little messy. Bottom line is that your top should fit correctly when installed, and not have a gap at the bottom. Good luck with it. :)

Yeah, it's wrong. If he supplied the top for you and installed it, then he needs to fix it and make it right. If you supplied the top for him to install, then he could say that it is the parts fault and he could be correct, and things could get a little messy. Bottom line is that your top should fit correctly when installed, and not have a gap at the bottom. Good luck with it. :)

Thank you, I thought so. The good news is that he supplied everything. I'm hoping he can fix it with the existing materials. Groan. Time to get ready for a fight. :bang

In case anyone's reading this story I thought I'd follow up -
I did bring the car back to the upholstery place and showed them the problem. They argued a little, but kept the car to work on it. I just picked it up and it looks great! He said all he did was apply steam to the top and it relaxed some and layed down in back. There's still a small gap between the top and the car body, but the rubber strips are touching enough that I don't think it would leak. He insists that a few hot days during the summer and it will relax the rest of the way. The gap is small enough now that I'm inclined to believe him. We'll see. He said he would loosen it if I really wanted him to, but recommended that I keep it this way through a few sunny days, otherwise we might get wrinkles. Since I think it's now water-safe I'm going to give it a shot. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy the ride! :beer

In case anyone's reading this story I thought I'd follow up -
I did bring the car back to the upholstery place and showed them the problem. They argued a little, but kept the car to work on it. I just picked it up and it looks great! He said all he did was apply steam to the top and it relaxed some and layed down in back. There's still a small gap between the top and the car body, but the rubber strips are touching enough that I don't think it would leak. He insists that a few hot days during the summer and it will relax the rest of the way. The gap is small enough now that I'm inclined to believe him. We'll see. He said he would loosen it if I really wanted him to, but recommended that I keep it this way through a few sunny days, otherwise we might get wrinkles. Since I think it's now water-safe I'm going to give it a shot. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy the ride! :beer

Definitely enjoy the ride, but also run some water over the whole top and especially around the gap area you referenced and see if there any leaks, there should be none. If it's dry I would say you are good to go, if water gets in some more work is needed. Good luck with it. :)

Sounds like the installer should have taken a look at Paul's post on convertible tops.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom