Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement Brake Pads

Smittybilt

Corvette
2005 C6 Coupe Z51 Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic
Does anyone know of a good replacement brake pad for a C6 that doesn't dust as much as the OEM's. Mainly to be used for street, not racing. Are the pads different for the Z51 equipped C6? Thanks Smitty

HI there,
Z51 is a much different brake pad from the stock pad. Harder, dusts more and more noisey. This is normal.
As for the replacement, dunno, but I will check to see if anyone has one out there.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Thanks C4C5; Are the pads of the Z51 equipped C6 the same as those of last years Z06? I've called around and nobody can seem to give me a straight answer. Some sites do sell pads for the C6 but don't seem to specify between the regular suspension and the Z51. Smitty

Smitty I put Bosch ceramic on my ZR-1. So far I see no dust and hear any noise. I would think they make a set to fit your car. So far I am happy with these pads.

My $.02 worth

C6 Pads Are Interchangeable With C5 Pads

Use Raybestos brand ceramic pads listed for a C5. Their part number is R731 for the front and R732 for the rears. They create almost no dust and work great.
Pep Boys carry Raybestos pads.

Doesn't Hawk make a pad that advertises very little dust? May want to check out www.tirerack.com because they are a Hawk seller.

Maybe it's so new that no one has them in their systems yet?

Thanks everyone;
I did order some pads from Mid America Motorworks (VGX ceramics). Tried looking for the Raybestos but they didn't carry them at the Advance Auto in my area. Should get them anytime soon. Hope they work. Smitty:)

GM lists a ceramic

Don't ceramic pads wear rotors down quicker?

Wondering how you like the VGX ceramic brake pads. I put ceramic pads on my C5 and was so happy to see the dust gone. Bought my C6 last week; brake dust is bad and the brakes squeal!

I installed the VGX brake pads about 2 weeks ago and have since put on about 200 miles on them. They definitely do not dust much at all. They're also very quiet. Have not heard a squeal since I replaced them. As for performance I don't really notice any difference in their stopping ability from the OEM pads that I took off. Of course I bought them for road use and not track. I'm sure that on the track the oem pads would probably not fade as much when they got heated up. All in all I'm very happy with them and would definitely recommend them.

Smitty

Smittybilt said:
I installed the VGX brake pads about 2 weeks ago and have since put on about 200 miles on them. They definitely do not dust much at all. They're also very quiet. Have not heard a squeal since I replaced them. As for performance I don't really notice any difference in their stopping ability from the OEM pads that I took off. Of course I bought them for road use and not track. I'm sure that on the track the oem pads would probably not fade as much when they got heated up. All in all I'm very happy with them and would definitely recommend them.

Smitty

Do you have a Z51?

Yes I do have a Z51

Bernievw said:
What's a ballpark price for the ceramics??

I just paid a little under $120 delivered from Fred Beans for GMs. That was all four wheels.

I paid somewhere around $150.00 for the ceramic pads plus installation, however, I still have a little squealing noise, but the brake dust is gone.

I'm sorry but I misspoke about where I got the VGX's. I got them from ZIP products and not MidAmerica. They ran about 150 + shipping for the set of four front and rear. Smitty

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom