Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement tire question

bt944

Corvette
2005 C6 Silver
Getting ready to replace my stock F1 Supercars and considering going the non-runflat route. I also do 2 or 3 tracks days a season. Other than the Michelin PS2, does anyone have experience with the following tires? I want to stay with the stock size.

Falken F452
Toyo Proxxes T1-R
BFG KDW
Conti SportContact 2

I have been leaning toward the BFG's but hear they are quite noisy

Thanks
Bill
2005 C6 Z51

tires

I had TOYO'S on my 01.Very nice tire.I like them alot,but started to get paranoid as the summer season approached and didn't want to get caught out there stuck on the JERSEY TURNPIKE with a flat!I went from those to the YOKOHAMA RUN FLATS,also a good tire.

I've had too many flats to chance running regular tires.

F1 SC's don't last long do they.

I'd consider a second set of wheels and tires for track days - non-run-flats - and keep run-flats on for daily driving. Switching to the 'standard' Vette's F1 GS2 would give you a longer lasting tire and much better all weather performance.

Check with your local club members for someone that just changed out wheels or check with Lingenfelter or Mallet for take-off wheels. Last time I checked, Lingenfelter had almost new standard wheels for $1000 plus shipping.

F1 SC's don't last long do they.

I'd consider a second set of wheels and tires for track days - non-run-flats - and keep run-flats on for daily driving. Switching to the 'standard' Vette's F1 GS2 would give you a longer lasting tire and much better all weather performance.

Check with your local club members for someone that just changed out wheels or check with Lingenfelter or Mallet for take-off wheels. Last time I checked, Lingenfelter had almost new standard wheels for $1000 plus shipping.

I have been wrestling with that option. If I get new wheels, I would want them for daily use. Trouble is the good track rubber is not available in 19", so the stock rear wheels are the problem. Does anyone know if they make a C6 repro wheel in 18 x 10, so I can match the front wheels?

I have been wrestling with that option. If I get new wheels, I would want them for daily use. Trouble is the good track rubber is not available in 19", so the stock rear wheels are the problem. Does anyone know if they make a C6 repro wheel in 18 x 10, so I can match the front wheels?

That is a problem.

Seems that the Bridgestone Potenza might be the 'best' track tire in stock sizes - I'm basing that on its tread wear rating of only 140. (GY F1 SC and Michilen PS2 are 200-220)

I'm running the Bridgestone G-Force KDW. I do not think they are to noisey for everyday use. Treadwear rating is 300 but I was suprised at how well they stick at the track. With 5 track days and 8K miles on them they are only down to 7/32nds. My Super Cars were toast after 5 track days and 18K miles.
I had the Toyo Proxes T1S on my 2000. That was a big improvement over the stock tires.

I ran the BF Goodrich KDWs on my C5 and loved them. I also have a set on my 57 Bel Air that runs C4 suspension. I am still waiting for my Toyos that I got for an incredibly low price. $100 a tire.

There are some very small 12v air compressors that can refill a tire if needed after plugging.

I haven't had too bad of luck in that regard. I personally don't like run flats. They're noisy and non run flats seem to have better grip. I do know that run flats suck on ice. Had to go to Cal this past March. When i got to the top of Baker grade there was ice. I slowed to a crawl. Still couldn't get any traction. Very close call twice when I lost traction going down hill. My brother and I had a good laugh when it was over but were very white knuckeled during. I don't know if non run flats would have done any better. The other cars were doing fine though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom