Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement tires

MMFaber

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Presently our 02 Vette has 19K miles on Goodyear EMT's....and we need to replace the tires next spring. The Goodyear have a lot of road noise via the stiff sidewall. What is the better tire on the market?

What tire have you replaced on your Vette? Looking for quieter ride with some longevity in the tire.

Thanks,
Marc

Michelin

I replaced the Goodyears with Michelin runflats 2-3/4 years ago... 6,000 miles ago.

They run somewhat quieter, roll over bumps without that jarring thud and feedback through the steering wheel the Goodyears have.

Considering safety, convenience, street performance, I will stick with these. They were about the same price as the Goodyears at the TireRack.

I will only drive on runflats. They're a great safety and convenience feature for a very small loss in capability.

Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's on my 98 this spring. Low noise, great ride and super traction.
$95.00 ea. for fronts, $105.00 ea. for rears from Tire Rack.
I like them a lot compared to the run flats. They are not puncture proof however. And the rears wear faster than the fronts.
I simply must stop having so much fun.
Naaaaah!:)

Marc,
Welcome to the CAC. Nice avatar.

Are you going to go with the runflats, or non-? Or have you decided?

Tammy

I put Kumho ASX's (all season) Last Dec 28 05 There Smooth, Quiet, Great in the Rain and Snow!!! 18,000 miles on them and I'll get 40,000 + out of them!!
Damn!! I put to many miles on this car this year!!:W :lou :cool
junk!!

I put Michelin Pilot Sport a/s on my '02 auto coupe @ 1300 miles ago. So far I find them quieter without the bump steer I got from the Goodyears on the cowtrails we have around here. I went with a/s so I can hopefully drive her a bit during Winter months...if the roads aren't too "dirty".

Next change will be to install the Bilsteins I paid for yesterday. I'm hoping my base suspension C5's ride won't be comprimised much but that I will have better tire control thru the lumpy, bumpy curves that pass for roads. DFO :)

I replaced the EMT's with Goodyear F1 GSD 3's. MUCH quiter, handles great, they look good, it's like a new car. I purchased some tire sealant and a compressor just in case. The compressor is handy to keep the tires all at the same pressure.

My .02 :lou

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Zero Pressure.

I did not want to give up the run-flat capability and this tire is wonderful.

I replaced the EMT's with Goodyear F1 GSD 3's. MUCH quiter, handles great, they look good, it's like a new car. I purchased some tire sealant and a compressor just in case. The compressor is handy to keep the tires all at the same pressure.

My .02 :lou

That's my choice for next spring - the D3's. I've found depending on where you live, not all Goodyear dealers have the run-flat equipment and I've run across some Chevy dealers who don't. So, I suppose if I get a flat on a trip, I'll have to call around, so I'm changing to nonrun-flats. Besides, I like the D3 look. ;)

My .02 too.
:w
Guy

Love those F1 GS/D3's

I agree with Guy. The Goodyear GS/D3's are a great
tire for the money. Just get a small compressor and a
plug kit. And they look "bad to the bone".

Remo:cool

gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg

Marc,

I agree with Tammy... very nice avatar, and welcome to the CAC.

I went back with stock Goodyear Runflats after an incident last year on the Interstate at 80 mph. Runflats caused it to be a definite NON event.

JMO
:w Jane Ann

I recently heard through the grapevine that GoodYear is releasing the GS-D3 in a run-flat version. The bad news is that they're reported to be SERIOUS $$$.

( I just bought a set on Michelin ZPs for myself. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to get them mounted yet)

I recently heard through the grapevine that GoodYear is releasing the GS-D3 in a run-flat version. The bad news is that they're reported to be SERIOUS $$$.

( I just bought a set on Michelin ZPs for myself. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to get them mounted yet)

and because the sidewalls are harder than a rock they'll ride poorly, make a pile of noise, handle corners no better than the GYF1-EMT's and only be available in limited sizes. Other than that, I have no strong opinions on the subject.

Remo:cool

and because the sidewalls are harder than a rock they'll ride poorly, make a pile of noise, handle corners no better than the GYF1-EMT's and only be available in limited sizes. Other than that, I have no strong opinions on the subject.

Remo,
We really need to work on you to get you to overcome the natural, inherent shyness of yours, and tell us what you really think.

;)
-Patrick

Remo,
We really need to work on you to get you to overcome the natural, inherent shyness of yours, and tell us what you really think.

;)
-Patrick

The first semi truck load of Remo's winter meds arrived at my house yesterday. It looks like they are just in time. The tanker of prune juice is en route.

I replaced the run flats with Goodyear GS/D3's. Remarkable difference in ride and noise levels. The car handles great with them. No run flats for me. Also, there are only certain tire stores that can change run flats and where I live that is a big consideration.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom