Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

replacement vacuum solenoid

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

I broke a vacuumport on my cruise control resume solenoid (only used on 81 and 82). A replacement is very hard to find (also still looking for one) but on the side I'm already thinking if I can replace it with something almost the same. After some digging I found early C3's have a vacuum solenoid that controls the wiper door. But could somebody verify if it works like I hope it does.

If it works the same as my resume solenoid then without power on the solenoid the vacuumports aren't connected and not venting vacuum. With power on the solenoid vacuum is passed on from the first to the second hose by the T-piece. Correct? :)

Greetings Peter

Good news, I just pulled off the CC transducer and actuator on my 82 C3. Had to replace the Speedo cable, and since I can't use the cruse anyway I removed the stuff to reduce clutter. Attached is a picture, minus all the hoses, what part do you need?

IMAG0001.jpg

Well, I didn't believe in miracles till now! :upthumbs

On top of the transducer is the resume solenoid attached. It is connected in front of the transducer with two screws. In front of the solenoid are two vacuum connections, one of them has broken off on mine... Please PM me if you want to sell it separate from the transducer and how much you want for it. :)
Thanks! :thumb

Greetings Peter

sure, ill send you my contact info later, I'm getting ready for PT, and this is going to be a crazy week at work.

Yes its attached and appears to be in good order. Now i have never used the cruise on this car, so i can't validate that really does work. But i don't see why it wouldn't. The previous owner bought it off a old fella that had it stored away. It only had 31k on the engine and frame, but the last owner pulled the crossfire and put a 383 with a stroker. So there was no way to hook the cruise control back up.

Its attached to a metal bracket that comes off pretty easy, i can sell it to you, i see that you are in the Netherlands so i wonder what the shipping would be. I was going to get one of those flat rate boxes that cost around $5-10 and use that but i think that price is for the US only. I searched a few sites trying to figure out what a fair price would be and I could not find that part anywhere. Here's what I'll do, send me your address and I'll take the part to the post office and get it weighed and a shipping price. As for how much, just make me an offer in a PM. I have paypal so we'll hash it out from there.

I'll guarantee this right here in front of everyone on the forums, I'm a Soldier and a man of my word. If you get it and it doesn't work I'll refund the money. Hope to hear from you soon, and if you want my contact info check your PM's. I'm about to go to bed early tonight, its 7:40CST here and I'm getting old, wore myself out today running.

Oh yeah I've bought a Air conditioner duct from Evolution1980 on here right before i went to Korea for a year. So i've been here for a bit, i just don't post much. Mainly look and get ideas for things to mod.

anytime, glad i found someone that can use it.

resume solenoid valve

Well, I didn't believe in miracles till now! :upthumbs

On top of the transducer is the resume solenoid attached. It is connected in front of the transducer with two screws. In front of the solenoid are two vacuum connections, one of them has broken off on mine... Please PM me if you want to sell it separate from the transducer and how much you want for it. :)
Thanks! :thumb

Greetings Peter

Well I know that this is an old thread but I am going to put my answer here so others can read it as needed (for the record.) If this solenoid is leaking or not working there are some things you can do as they are impossible to buy...well from anywhere I can find or search. First off I took mine apart and cleaned the inside. Still leaked a bit but much better. Next I drilled the end of the valve (the flat end) just enough to glue a piece of metal coat hanger in there (an old small drill would work also and could be cut off with a grinder.) Next I used a drill and tooth past to lap the end of the valve and the seat inside the solenoid. This was trial and error and I kept it up till the seat and plunger seated and held a vacuum. There is however one more place that it leaks and that is a rubber seal on the end of the intake to air tube. I went to the hardware store and looked at all their rubber washers until I found one that would fit (it doesn't have to be exact as these are just to seal the outlet.) You could seal this joint with silicon as the thing will come apart if this intake piece is glued in. When it was put back together it held vacuum and worked. Yippi.

If the solenoid doesn't work it can be rewound. Get the same insulated wire in a spool from an electronics parts store (it has a coating on it) Next un-solder the ends of the winding from the tabs making sure you not which end is where (e.g. which side goes to ground...is it the inner or the outer end. Now unwind the solenoid counting the turns and making note if any insulating layers inside the winding. Now rewind it leaving plenty of end wire to connect to the required terminals. make sure the winding is evenly layer and neat like the original (you could put a drill bit inside the fitting covered in insulating tape so it is snug) and then use a drill to turn the solenoid as you rewind it. Make sure you count the turns as it goes in and make sure you have it going in the same direction as the original. Resolder, insulate and reassemble.

So there it is...you can fixed these dang solenoids as I can't find a new one anywhere . Good luck but mine now works.

Well I know that this is an old thread but I am going to put my answer here so others can read it as needed (for the record.) If this solenoid is leaking or not working there are some things you can do as they are impossible to buy...well from anywhere I can find or search. First off I took mine apart and cleaned the inside. Still leaked a bit but much better. Next I drilled the end of the valve (the flat end) just enough to glue a piece of metal coat hanger in there (an old small drill would work also and could be cut off with a grinder.) Next I used a drill and tooth past to lap the end of the valve and the seat inside the solenoid. This was trial and error and I kept it up till the seat and plunger seated and held a vacuum. There is however one more place that it leaks and that is a rubber seal on the end of the intake to air tube. I went to the hardware store and looked at all their rubber washers until I found one that would fit (it doesn't have to be exact as these are just to seal the outlet.) You could seal this joint with silicon as the thing will come apart if this intake piece is glued in. When it was put back together it held vacuum and worked. Yippi.

If the solenoid doesn't work it can be rewound. Get the same insulated wire in a spool from an electronics parts store (it has a coating on it) Next un-solder the ends of the winding from the tabs making sure you not which end is where (e.g. which side goes to ground...is it the inner or the outer end. Now unwind the solenoid counting the turns and making note if any insulating layers inside the winding. Now rewind it leaving plenty of end wire to connect to the required terminals. make sure the winding is evenly layer and neat like the original (you could put a drill bit inside the fitting covered in insulating tape so it is snug) and then use a drill to turn the solenoid as you rewind it. Make sure you count the turns as it goes in and make sure you have it going in the same direction as the original. Resolder, insulate and reassemble.

So there it is...you can fixed these dang solenoids as I can't find a new one anywhere . Good luck but mine now works.

When I read about the problems some of guys have with your cars, I consider myself so lucky (so far).
But the way you come up with solutions for each other is so heartening and I know that if I ever need help, the answer will be here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom