Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Front Magnetic Ride Shocks

Best Vette Yet

Corvette
2003 Medium Spiral Grey
Hi Everyone,

Is it difficult to replace the front magnetic ride shocks on my 2003 C5 Vette? I see that there is fluid escaping from the shock and the ride has become very hard. Nothing in the DIC Codes states that there is an electrical issue so I am of the opinion that it is only the shocks that need replacing. :confused

Changing front shocks is not difficult provided you have the proper tools.

Unfortunately, MR shocks might be pretty pricey...if you can still get the first Gen MR shocks.

I had sourced MR shocks direct from the Chevy Dealership in Layton, Utah. P/N#19302787, Cost was $810.00ea excluding tax. Cost for both shocks would have been $1746.00 with tax. Contacted a shop for the install and was quoted $310.00 to replace both front shocks. Total cost for MR replacement would have been $2056.00.

I contacted a company called GM Parts Direct. Typed in the P/N and received a bid for $440.00ea. With shipping etc, these shocks landed at my door for $1011.00. Shipping was expensive due to the hazardous content of the MR shocks.

I decided to accept the challenge of installing them myself. Removed the wheel, the caliper and rotor to gain access to the shocks. Un-clipped the MR sensor on the top of the shock and moved it gently out of the way. It was difficult for the first side; second side was 40 minutes. I could compress the old shocks by hand to remove them; they were so badly worn. Used bailing wire on the new shocks to get them compressed and once inserted cut the wire and the shocks slid into place. Installed all hardware from the new kit and bolted the shocks into place. Cleaned the area thoroughly to rid the old MR shock oil and grime. Looked pretty clean and new after that.
The ride height from the fender to the tip of the wheel increased by 2" and the road test was magnificent, the before and after like night and day. Smooth:happyanim:.

I took photos of the original shocks, once they had been removed, one was compressed 5" and stayed that way, the other was compressed 2" and stayed that way when compared to the new MR shocks. If I knew how to post pics on this site I would do so. (Just for interest sake).

The shocks from GM Direct had the GM hologram on the box but they were manufactured in Mexico and not the USA as labeled on the old original shocks. The MR shocks from the dealership came in the same packaged boxes and were also manufactured in Mexico. I sometimes ponder pricing from Dealerships as these MR I purchased from GM Direct were literally half the price.

I went with the MR replacement as I have driven a 2003 ZO6 with regular shocks and the ride seemed to be very hard and bone shaking. If it had not been so then perhaps I would have gone with the F45 package in place of the F55 package which would have been a lot cheaper.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom