Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

replacing left 1996 window motor, need info

grumpyvette

well, I get into the 1996 vette this A.M. (its parked in my garage)and the left window is down, as is the right side, I hit the right side switch and the window goes up, I hit the left side rocker switch NADA!ZIP!, I start checking fuses and then test the switch with a V.O.M. meter and the switch seems to be good, so off to the local chevy dealers parts dept, I go, cost of new switch is $150, motors $148, so since IVE tested the switch, Im reasonably sure its the motor, I buy that ONLY,mostly because Im reasonably sure its original and about due anyway,and now IM about to install it and while Ive done it on my 1985 vette Ive yet to do it on my 1996 and was wondering if theres any tricks, potential things IVE OVER LOOKED or info you guys might care to let me in on BEFORE I jump into this little project today...ANYONE???

BTW YEAH! IM WELL Aware ecklers sells the sam window motor for $80 VS the dealers $148, but i NEEDED IT today

One time my motor stopped working. I gave it a tap with a small hammer and it started again and has worked ever since (about 3 years ago).

Corvette; the only exotic sports car that can be fixed with a hammer. Good thing it's a Chevy!

One time my motor stopped working. I gave it a tap with a small hammer and it started again and has worked ever since (about 3 years ago).

I had the same experience with my '96. Gotta love them Chevvys! :upthumbs

I’m not sure if this is much different than on my 84, but here is what I do.
1- remove door panel
2- Remove the silver door cover that you see hanging on the picture.
3- Remove window.
4- Remove the 3 bolts holding the regulator at the bottom under the door.
5- Remove regulator.
C4Window.jpg

C4WindowRegulatorCircle.jpg

BTW heres a similar bit of info from an older post
BTW I think theres screws under the door handle and curtesy light cover that may be a bit hard to find and heres some info
http://webpages.charter.net/khastin....charter.net/khasting/techinfo/windowreg.html

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001/october/window/win-1.asp

BTW, the motor AND THE BRACKETs and ROLLERS in the window track assembly were worn past the point of use, I needed the complete assembly, cost from chevy $350, (I can't see how they lose money charging those prices for $40 worth of parts you can't find elsewhere.) but it was really a better deal in that it was far easier to install as a complete unit vs. replacing the motor...and yes I'm well aware they are listed far cheaper elseware!, but you pay thru the nose when you want the parts NOW, and are not willing to wait.
yeah, at times I pay retail. just to get the damn thing over with, if it could wait, I could have knocked 40% off the price.
1996-corvette.jpg

this I see I failed to post the part number...ITS GM# 22063225 for the assembly with the motor and ID STRONGLY ADVISE you go that route vs the motor alone as its far less aggravation and well worth the differance in cost

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom