Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Replacing rear wheelbearings

guggie

Corvette
74, coupe
Yesterday, I took my 74' to get a front and rear alignment and found out that the rear wheel bearing on the driver's side is bad. The passenger side is also showing wear but not as bad as the driver's side. The car has only 60,000 miles on it but I have been told that lack of driving can cause this. I have been told that it is a big job to do. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has replace either one or both rear wheel bearings and what was the cost to do it ? Also is there anyone that is near Green Bay Wisconsin that could give me a reference of where to go to get this done by someone who really knows what they are doing. I have got a sizable sum invested at this time in my car to get it to showroom quality.

Yesterday, I took my 74' to get a front and rear alignment and found out that the rear wheel bearing on the driver's side is bad. The passenger side is also showing wear but not as bad as the driver's side. The car has only 60,000 miles on it but I have been told that lack of driving can cause this. I have been told that it is a big job to do. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has replace either one or both rear wheel bearings and what was the cost to do it ? Also is there anyone that is near Green Bay Wisconsin that could give me a reference of where to go to get this done by someone who really knows what they are doing. I have got a sizable sum invested at this time in my car to get it to showroom quality.

Remove the trailing arms and get the rebuilt by vbandp (vette brakes and products)

How do you know the bearings are bad?

At 60k miles, they're 20k overdue, so it should not come as a surprise that one of them needs attention. This is a job for a professional with experience and the right tools.

I agree, first how were they checked. These bearings were and still should be a press fit installation. There are many places that do them, myself included, but you should do your homework before you commit. Pricing is all over the place and there are those using cheaper parts and cutting corners to low bid the work. I would read up on them, look over my threads on the subject with all the pictures, then you can make your decision.

Now a 1974 differential, if original, has soft face axles and there wear is often very noticeable and mistaken for bearings. If both the diff and arms are original you will want to really check them close, as both may need attention.

I have repaired MANY of both that were worked on by previous owners, local dealerships, garages, and VETTE Vendors. I could and should write a book!

wheelbearing replacement

I took my 74" to a shop that is exclusive with corvettes. They needed to be replaced and the found other things that needed attention . Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom