Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Replacing Tany and Diff lube

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
A few questions

1) I have removed the diff from the car, cracked it open, and completely drained and cleaned out he inside. Now, my question is with regards to filling the diff with new lube. I know that I'm supposed to fill the diff up to the bottom of the fill hole on the side of the back plate. The question is. . .do I fill it up to there and then let it go. . .or should I check back from time to time (as the lube makes it's way into the bearings and clutchpack. . .to top it off again?

2) I want to replace my trans fluid. My trans is still in the car. I have a suction pump for pulling the fluid out. . .but how the heck to I get new fluid in!?!?!? Is there some kind of push pump that will squirt the lube through a hose and into the case? If thre is can someone give me a name and a link to an example product?

Thanks!
JonR

It doesn't hurt to recheck you fluid after to just replaced the rear end fluid. Why not right?

I like the more complicated way of changing the transmission fluid. You will need a gallon bucket, hoses, and clamps. Disconnect the transmission cooling lines from the radiator, and the output fluid goes in the gallon bucket as waste while the input lines are in a fresh gallon container of transmission fluid. Once you start the engine and you see fresh transmission oil coming out the output line (to the waste container), reconnect the lines to the radiator. This method cleans the transmission oil in the transmission and torque converter too. Good luck on that.

max fill is 60 oz which you won't get in while in the car as it will weep out the hole. Add 50-56 oz of Lucas 85-140 gear oil and 4 oz GM additve,seal it up and install. You won't use it up so unless you have a leak you're good.

There is a hand pump that screws on to a qt bottle of gear oil. The local parts store or online should have it. Use 90wt in the Muncie.

That's a nify way of doing it for Auto trans.

I've got the 4-speed. Sorry, probably should have mentioned that. :)

Thanks for the info.

On my 92 ZF6 speed, I have two drain plugs, one for fill, one to drop the oil.

Ditto on my '73 Muncie. But re-filling can be a bear.

2) I want to replace my trans fluid. My trans is still in the car. I have a suction pump for pulling the fluid out. . .but how the heck to I get new fluid in!?!?!?

Use the suction gun in reverse; suck the trans lube out of the bottle, push the handle to put it in the transmission. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom