Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Windshield Frame

T

tonyvdb

Anyone had any experiance replacing sides or the entire windshield frame on a 70 conv. I noticed a little rust on the right side so started looking more and the more trim I took off the more rust I found. I know Zip Products sell the side posts, corners, and upper header. Are they welded in? Thanks in advance for any help or comments on fixing this problem.

Anyone had any experiance replacing sides or the entire windshield frame on a 70 conv. I noticed a little rust on the right side so started looking more and the more trim I took off the more rust I found. I know Zip Products sell the side posts, corners, and upper header. Are they welded in? Thanks in advance for any help or comments on fixing this problem.

They're welded in.

How bad is the rust damage? The reason I ask is because, if you're experiencing only some small holes and nothing really structural, you might want to consider POR-15 epoxy putty as an alternative to a complete replacement.

The stuff is amazing. It's water-based, so you can mold and shape the material and it cures rock hard.

I removed my windshield in the fall and with careful prepping the area, I was able to repair some small holes in the windshield header and pillars using POR-15 epoxy putty. I was able to sand it smooth and then treat the entire assembly with POR-15 paint and POR-15 topcoat. I'm very pleased with the results.

Total cost for the repair was less than $100. I had estimated parts and labor for a windshield/pillar replacement to be from $950 to $1100.

Ralph

P.S. Welcome to CAC!

:w
Save the wave.....

Thanks for the information. POR 15 sounds like a great product. the Right side post is pretty rusty with several holes. The left side and top are not bad no holes and probably can be either ground clean or sand blasted. Maybe use the POR 15 on the left side and a new post on the right. Looks like the top will be ok with some sanding and repainting.

Not a good way to begin the winter project of restoring the interior, but it will be one more place that I know is good.

Tony,

I would give it a try. I've attached some info on the product.

Ralph

I had quarter size holes in my 69 upper pillars. I cut out the rot and welded in some .040 sheet metal and used the POR15 putty to surface it, then POR15 painted it. You can't tell now looking at it. Of course if the rot in below the glass line then you may have to cut out the glass or put the nose. Sometimes you can gut the dash and get to it from the inside.

I've replaced the windshield frame on my 69'coupe, both sides and the top.
It's a LOT of work, especially if it's rust in the lower parts. I had to remove the front to get access.
http://www.vmyrv.com

Thanks for the reply, I went to you web site and looked at the pictures of your windshield frame. Mine are ok on the bottom and top, right side is rusted through in several places, Left side is rusty but not rusted through. I'm thinking at least the right side needs to be replaced and maybe the left, we'll see once I start grinding on it.
Nice cars you have!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom