Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Restoration Guides

T

Tim73454

I'm lookin to buy a restoration guide that is geared to the shade tree in all of us. I'm looking at Corvette Centrals catalog and there are a couple to pick from. The one I'm looking at the hardest right now is "corvette 1968-1982 restoration guide" and sells for $29.95. Has any one use it or is there another one that I should consider?

Thanks

Tim

I have flipped through that one. It gave me a great tip on stabalizing my door openings while pulling the body off the frame.

I strongly suggest an assembly manual, factory repair manual, and making good friends here at CAC!

I bought a "corvette Shop Manual 1968-1982" but don't really like it. I will look for one of the ones you mentioned.

Thanks

Tim73454

I think you may be disappointed in that book for what you're looking for. Its great for describing the details if you're into NCRS resto and has some excellent pics, but doesn't get into the "how to" of any repairs or restoration.

Here's a couple that may help...

"How to Restore and Modify your Corvette 1968-1982" Good tips and general "how to" info. Covers the entire car pretty well.

"Popular Hot Rodding's Small Block Chevy Performance Trends". This is real good for beginners like myself. Deals with engine build-up and mods. Describes all aspects of the engine in detail, with parts choices, etc.

Must have the Chevy factory service manual. Can be picked up at good swap meets. Some are still in print. Other's are hard to find. Also try e-bay.

Tim,

Also check out the offerings in the NCRS bookstore.
www.ncrs.org .

Until three months ago, all I knew about Corvettes is that I wanted one. I bought Prince's "Corvette Restoration Guide 1968-1982" when I began my search so I could better tell how far from original things were. It's amazing some of the things some sellers tried to tell me were "original." But it's a resource more than a how-to. I also bought Newton's "How to Restore & Modify Your Corvette 1968-1982." Another good resource with a little more how-to. I found a e-bay auction that included Chilton's Repair Manual, Haynes Repair Manual, Rochester Carburetor Manual, Chevy Chassis Service Manual, and Assembly Instruction Manual. Borders Bookstore or Barnes & Noble stock some of these. Go browse before you buy.

Tim73454 said:
I'm lookin to buy a restoration guide that is geared to the shade tree in all of us. I'm looking at Corvette Centrals catalog and there are a couple to pick from. The one I'm looking at the hardest right now is "corvette 1968-1982 restoration guide" and sells for $29.95. Has any one use it or is there another one that I should consider?
Tim, most of those guides are very generic with very little how to. Some are more project oriented, showing how to do certin things, but not all things.

For your 73 I would recommend the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) available from most all vendors, the Factory Service Manual, and the Factory Overhaul Manual. The best place to get the Service and Overhaul manuals is on eBay. Can pick up good used ones for $30 or less. Helms is the publisher ( www.helminc.com ) but their prices is $80-90, and the Vendors sell them for $100+. With those three you should be able to do most anything.

Then use the Restoration Guides as a guide and the three above for the how to part.

tom...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom