Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Results In/Engine woes

Black Thunder

Corvette
1968 Black Custom Vert 454 BB
Well finally know what happened. Had a roller rocker stud failure. Seems the screw in studs were on the short side so not holding upper retainers by many threads so it failed.

Had to pull intake to get lifter but fortunately no major damage as engine valley had screen across & caught lifter from puking the works. Tip of pushrod a little bruised, roller rocker got a small mark.

So dodged a major bullet & was getting a mixture of gas & oil into cylinder. Have to wait a week to get special order longer studs to replace on all rockers. Might as well fix it right so this never happens again. Replace pushrod, change studs, adjust lifters & seal everything up nice & tight.

Not pretty but could have been catastrophic. Can't believe how well you folks responded & will never forget it. Being new to the community I hope to someday be able to help someone as you have tried to help me.

Thanks folks,
John

Keith....... Thanks I was seeing thousand dollar bills with wings!

Thanks again for your input & will try to help you someday, hopefully for something much less serious.........John

An engine pic:

Great news. The last I checked in it looked like you were going to have to yank the whole thing.

Has that motor been on a dyno? Do you have the exact specs and parts numbers for all the goodies in there?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom