Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Resurrecting a '92

Ray Young

Corvette
1992 black coupe six speed
Hello all,

I found and purchased a 92 couple, six speed, with 41,000 that has been stored outside under a car cover for 3 years and not inspected since 2007. The owner installed new brakes so that is all set. The tires have to be replaced as they have dry rot and are cracked (any suggestions to manufacturer and style are welcome). It is running and driving. My thought is to do the following:

Change fluids: oil, rear diff, and coolant
Sea Foam
Tires
Possibly brake lines.
Possibly shocks
Air filter
Fuel filter
Check steering and suspension rubber bushings.

Any other recommendations?

:thanks:

Your list is pretty good.

I'd add:

hoses and belts along with the tires,
battery, &
trans fluid.

Check spare tire and find the jack and other tire changing stuff.

Be ready for leaks and gasket replacement - water pump seals may start leaking after a lot of non-use.

Your list is pretty good.

I'd add:

hoses and belts along with the tires,
battery, &
trans fluid.

Check spare tire and find the jack and other tire changing stuff.

Be ready for leaks and gasket replacement - water pump seals may start leaking after a lot of non-use.

Good points: Serpentine belt looked OK but will re-check, batter was new (should have mentioned that) I will keep on eye on that pump. Spare tire is up there but will check for tools. Hoses are cheap and will add that to the list. Thanks much :)

Btw, the '92 LT1 has a "double sided" serpentine belt that was only used on the '92 LT1 and the early '93 production. They can be hard to find, you might want to get one just to have it around.

If the car was parked outside for any length of time, check for mice nests in the spare tire wheel and in the air box.

The jack should be in the spare wheel. The lug wrench should be in the storage area behind the passenger seat.

While I'm at this and remembering things:
Roof wrench - the ratchet with torque tool is supposed to be in the console. See if you have one.
Valve covers - '92 only year for the metal covers. '93 and later got black plastic covers that muffled the valve train noise some.
Fuel line hammer - there was a bulletin put out back then about replacing a couple of the fuel line support brackets to reduce fuel line hammer - or a thunking noise on cold morning caused by the pressure pulses in the fuel system.

Last edited:
Hay Ray, welcome to the CAC.

Sounds like you have covered a lot, I would add, make sure you have the wheel lock keys for the car.

Good luck with the car, C4's are great fun.

thanks

Thanks all. I had a 92 before but it was taken care of so I didn't have to worry about these small things. I never heard of the fuel line hammer so that is interesting.

Thanks all. I had a 92 before but it was taken care of so I didn't have to worry about these small things. I never heard of the fuel line hammer so that is interesting.

I had an "early" production '92 and it definitely had fuel line hammer. Later production may have covered that.

Fluids

Congrats on the car.
I'd also check the condition of the fluids for the brakes and clutch. If anything in question, replace them. If the caliper hoses look poor, consider braided lines there.
Grab some extra fuses and keep them in the car. Check all your lights to insure they all work. Add up your list along with the suggestions and you should be in good condition.

The List

Congrats on the car.
I'd also check the condition of the fluids for the brakes and clutch. If anything in question, replace them. If the caliper hoses look poor, consider braided lines there.
Grab some extra fuses and keep them in the car. Check all your lights to insure they all work. Add up your list along with the suggestions and you should be in good condition.

OMG my list is so long. My mechanic is going to love me hahaha. I would LOVE to do all of it but I just don't have the time. I am adding to my own list to have an alignment done. I think the car will be at the shop for at least a couple of days. :cry

I am chomping at the bit to get some miles in before the snow flies.

All the lights work. One of the first things I checked were the hedlights to see if the gears were OK. I had to replace them on my '89.

One thing no one mentioned was to make sure that the car came with the lugnut remover for the locking lug nuts!

OK I think i need to make a spreadsheet.

List

Didn't you know it's easy to add to someone elses list and hit their wallet rather than your own :happyanim:
In a perfect world, it would all be already done. Some of those items are on my winter list, so I feel the $$ pain.

OMG my list is so long. My mechanic is going to love me hahaha. I would LOVE to do all of it but I just don't have the time. I am adding to my own list to have an alignment done. I think the car will be at the shop for at least a couple of days. :cry

I am chomping at the bit to get some miles in before the snow flies.

All the lights work. One of the first things I checked were the hedlights to see if the gears were OK. I had to replace them on my '89.

One thing no one mentioned was to make sure that the car came with the lugnut remover for the locking lug nuts!

OK I think i need to make a spreadsheet.

Check post # 5. The only reason I know is because when I bought my Green LT4 from the dealer, they were missing, and I wouldn't pick-up the car until he found them or changed them. He found them. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom