Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

reverse lock out

Corvette
78 Pace Car imposter
The reverse lockout does not work on my 78. There is nothing I have to do to move the shifter into, through, or out of, reverse. I almost went from Drive(3) to reverse last year at the drag strip.That would not have been good. In your humble opinion, what would be the most likely culprit. I've never worked on something like this before, so use words of one syllable or less :gap

Unscrew the chrome button on top of the shifter. There should be a spring under it.

Mike

I have had the button off. I needed to replace the boot. There is a spring. The wood knob moves up and down like you would expect it to. However, it is not necessary. I can shift just fine without pulling it up.

pasvorto1 said:
I have had the button off. I needed to replace the boot. There is a spring. The wood knob moves up and down like you would expect it to. However, it is not necessary. I can shift just fine without pulling it up.
What brand shifter is it ... the spring Mikes mentions works with the "T" Lockout mech on the shifter, just under the shifter knob ;) .. it controls a rod that goes in and out of the transmission linkage.

Bud

Edit: Add Shifter Photo, disregard the highlighted parts, that was what was worn out on mine ;)
ShifterParts.jpg

Mine is an automatic. It has a wooden ball with the 25th anniversary logo button in the middle on top.

The shifter is nothing more than a lever that engages a cable that pushes the shift lever on the transmission into the selected gears. Starting at the full forward position, Park, reverse, neutral, Drive, 2, Low.
It is under the console cover on the transmission tunnel and can be accessed by removing the carpet on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel
The shifter has a rod that goes up the center of the handle and is spring loaded. The spring causes the rod to push up on the button on the shift knob. At the bottom of the rod is a latch that engages in the pivot of the shifter. On the pivot is a metal arch that has a series of steps in it that engages the latch on the rod. These are what keep your gear selector in place! With the selector in Drive, you should not be able to downshift without pushing in the button on your shift knob. With the shifter in neutral it will go into drive without pushing trhe button , but not reverse or park.

So, bottom line is, if the shift latch is not engaging, it will not latch.
If the spring is broken, it will not latch.
If the rod is gummed up with old grease, it will not latch.
If the steps on the ratchet are worn round, it will not latch.

Looks like I got some carpet removal to do. :)

3 screws, 1 at the front of the carpet under the dash, 1 at the back of the console, 1 at the back of the carpet.

Then remove that high quality cardboard tunnel wall....

That will come with the carpet. The carpet is glued to it. Just don't bend it, whatever you do! It cracks easy.

Turns out the woodruff key on the shifter was sheared off. I can't seem to find one so I will ask a buddy, who is a machinist, to try and make one for me. Once I get that replaced, the Reverse Lock Out should work just fine. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom