Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ride Control test

Joe 90 Vette

Hi, I read someones advise to test the ride control light on my dash. So I tested each shock by switching the ride control with key off. Then had soemone turn on key without starting car. I could hear a pumping action at each shock which was the test. Can anyone tell me why the dash light is on? Do I need to take it to dealer to pay $ 200 to get it reset? Appreciate any help or direction

Sorry everyone, I saw the comments from a prior question, thanks for the help, I am going to check each gear at top of shock.

Thanks again

You need to acutally read the codes for the shock system. Jump ports A-C with a paper clip to access and watch the pulses on the DIC.

When the car is powered on to the run position, the shocks test for each end stop of the shock. It doesn't matter if the knob has been turned inside the cabin.

Get the codes and come back.

If memory serves me, if you turn the key on & off 3 times without driving the car the Service ride control light will come on & set a code 23. It will remain as a history code until cleared. It shud be cleared to prevent future miss diagnosis. :eek Take it for a ride & see if the light goes out. If not, follow Jeffvettes advice.

When you jump pins A and C, turn on the ignition. Watch the SRC light flash. There is a specifc sequence of flashes you have to look for.

At the start, a Code 12 is flashed three times followed by a pause, and then any specific codes stored, followed by a Code 12 to end the sequence. The code numbers are counted by the blinking sequence. For example, a Code 12 is one blink followed by two blinks. There is a half-second pause between the two numbers This is done three times:
blink
blink, blink

blink
blink, blink

blink
blink, blink

After a three second pause the code (or codes) will start to flash. A code 23 which is caused by cycling of the ignition switch three or more times with out the car moving is:
blink, blink
blink, blink, blink

this is repeated twice more and then goes on to the next code. After all codes are displayed, Code 12 is repeated. Shutting off the ignition switch will stop the code display.

Here are the codes:
23 Loss of vehicle speed signal (ignition switch on 3 times etc.)
13 and 22 Left Rear or Right Rear Time Out (tests actuator moving to a stop
14 and 21 Same for Right side
41, 42, 43 SRC Swithc Circuit Fault

Codes 13, 14, 21 and 22 can indicate either a bad actuator or a bad shock gear or shaft. YOu will need to remove the actuator and check the gear condition. If the gear is broken (a common occurance) the shock will have to be replaced or repaired. If the gear is good, you can clear the code(s) and swap the actuator side to side and check codes again. The actuators can't be swapped front to rear as the cable lengths are different.

Clear the codes by grounding pin C for two seconds and repeat twice more.

Bilstein will repair the shock for around $65. They can also revalve the shocks for different applications. You can call them at 1-800-537-1085 in Poway, CA near San Diego. I just sent a shock off to them with a broken gear and it will take about 2 weeks to get back. The gears are not sold separately and the actuators are a GM item. eBay may be a good source for actuators if you need one.

Thamnks for the help. I did jumper A-C and in My 90 Vette the air bag light flashes. The book I have indicates the AB terminal should be jumped. Which I did. I did get code 12 flahing three times and it keep that sequence. No other codes. I also disconnected power with key swithc off and jumper removed and the Service ride control is still on. As before, I did check to hear all shocks activating. I also took for a ride and light is still on. I puzzled.

There could be differences in how GM labeled the ALDL pins but for OBDI systems, I would think that the ECM's would have the diagnostic connectors the same so that test equipment would not require a variety of connector cables pinned for specific years. OBDII cars have more pins so they are different.

For my 92, pins "A" and "K" are used to check the SIR system (airbag). Here's what the 92 manual uses for pin labeling sequences. They are labeled as you look at them on the car:

F E D C B A
G H J K L M

So for my 92, I jump pin C (4th from left) to pin A (upper right corner) in the upper row to see the SRC codes. Pin A is a ground but you can also use any good metal ground.

Ride Control Again!

Well, after going to the dealer, I was told I need a $ 1700 ride control module under the dash! I have tried to find one on line used, however, I have had no luck. Can someone tell me if I realy need this module or should I just extinuish the ligth as I never could tell what the difference was anyway!!

Joe

One reason why you could not tell the difference in ride is probably because the system is not working. A system problem (SRC light is on in the DIC) will cause the system to go to a specific setting regardless of the switch position.

$1700 for a controller is waay out of line. You might try Mid America or Ecklers or even Doug Rippie Motorsports. The controller on my 92 is located in the compartment behind the driver's seat.

Did the dealer provide you with the code numbers that they retrieved?? Post them if you can get them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom