Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ride control

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
My check ride control light came on today. To make things short and sweet since I probably have some shocks to replace, should I go with the stock fx5 setup or go coil over? Would there be any advantage to going with coil over shocks? The roads around here are pretty atrocious, and one of these days I'd like to get the c4 on Sonoma Raceway and play around a little.Thanks for all your help. I'm learning alot from you all.:thanks:

Are you sure you need new shocks? Back when I had my 94 Z07, I got the message and after some research, I found one of my shocks had a broken gear. I sent them back to Bilstein USA (San Deigo, IIRC) and had them rebuilt for a fraction of new shocks. Of course, coil-overs are pretty cool too.

My check ride control light came on today. To make things short and sweet since I probably have some shocks to replace, should I go with the stock fx5 setup or go coil over? Would there be any advantage to going with coil over shocks? The roads around here are pretty atrocious, and one of these days I'd like to get the c4 on Sonoma Raceway and play around a little.Thanks for all your help. I'm learning alot from you all.:thanks:

On the diagnostic connector located above the drivers right knee area, use a piece of wire or paper clip
and connect Pin A to Pin C.

Turn the ignition On. Do not start the car.

The Service Ride Control indicator bulb will blink 12 three times then any codes three time.

Example 12 would be Blink pause Blink, Blink long pause next code. The cycle will repeat until
you turn the ignition Off.

This guy can repair most actuator problems and he also sells the small gear that is mounted
on the shock rod.

Corvette fx3 shock actuator rebuilding and repair

This is a picture of the diagnostic connector pin outs.

Post what the error code is set or do a search on FX3 error codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come to think of it, Captain Z might be where I had mine repaired.

Are you sure you need new shocks? Back when I had my 94 Z07, I got the message and after some research, I found one of my shocks had a broken gear. I sent them back to Bilstein USA (San Deigo, IIRC) and had them rebuilt for a fraction of new shocks. Of course, coil-overs are pretty cool too.

Is that a PT-23?

If I went with coil overs what would the greatest advantage be compared to updating the factory shocks. For the 2000 dollars plus install, I dont know if I'll be getting that much better performance to justify the investment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom