Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ride Height Issue Follow-Up

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
OK - for those that don't remember, front ride hight on my 66 coupe left side seemd too low especially when the tire impacted the fender lip on a left hand turn and tore off a piece of the fiberglas fender lip. Front coil springs were Vette Brakes products from about 10 - 12 years ago. Purchased a gymkahana suspension package that would lower ride height about 1". Am riding on Pirelli P4000 215/70 ZR 15 super touring tires on Cragar SS 5 spoke wheels with 3/8" spacer. I purchased new replacement springs from Ecklers that were supposed to return car to normal ride height. After installation, I drove for 10 to 15 miles then measured the left at 25" and right at 26" (from ground to fender lip). Picked up almost 1" on both sides.

I understand 25 1/2" to 26 1/2" is normal. A view from the front shows a visual difference. I disconnected the Carrera adjustable shocks just to see if there was any bind - no change. Disconnected the sway bar - no change (didn't expect any).

During the reconstruction, the frame was on a chassis rack and all points were good or made good. No rust outs as the chassis has been inside and 'resting' since it was gone over and painted black Imron back in the late eighties.

Also, I have a 360 lb composite rear monoleaf spring set so the rear ride heights are about 26". Could an adjustment on the ends of the monoleaf transfer excess weight to the front the same as with the jack screws on a race car suspension? My thoughts are that it could but, I don't have a set of scales anymore to check the corner weights.

Because of the spacers on the Cragars I don't feel comfortable with 25" on the left side - especially after impacting the fender already. The only other part that might come into play is the lower control arm. I still haven't gotten the alignment yet but I really don't think that should matter as I have it pretty close using a hub gauge.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I am considering VNV's theory of throwing more money at it by getting the new lower control arm. If that doesn't work, a 1" rubber spacer in the bottom spring pocket might just end my discomfort.

Steve

OK - for those that don't remember, front ride hight on my 66 coupe left side seemd too low especially when the tire impacted the fender lip on a left hand turn and tore off a piece of the fiberglas fender lip. Front coil springs were Vette Brakes products from about 10 - 12 years ago. Purchased a gymkahana suspension package that would lower ride height about 1". Am riding on Pirelli P4000 215/70 ZR 15 super touring tires on Cragar SS 5 spoke wheels with 3/8" spacer. I purchased new replacement springs from Ecklers that were supposed to return car to normal ride height. After installation, I drove for 10 to 15 miles then measured the left at 25" and right at 26" (from ground to fender lip). Picked up almost 1" on both sides.

I understand 25 1/2" to 26 1/2" is normal. A view from the front shows a visual difference. I disconnected the Carrera adjustable shocks just to see if there was any bind - no change. Disconnected the sway bar - no change (didn't expect any).

During the reconstruction, the frame was on a chassis rack and all points were good or made good. No rust outs as the chassis has been inside and 'resting' since it was gone over and painted black Imron back in the late eighties.

Also, I have a 360 lb composite rear monoleaf spring set so the rear ride heights are about 26". Could an adjustment on the ends of the monoleaf transfer excess weight to the front the same as with the jack screws on a race car suspension? My thoughts are that it could but, I don't have a set of scales anymore to check the corner weights.

Because of the spacers on the Cragars I don't feel comfortable with 25" on the left side - especially after impacting the fender already. The only other part that might come into play is the lower control arm. I still haven't gotten the alignment yet but I really don't think that should matter as I have it pretty close using a hub gauge.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I am considering VNV's theory of throwing more money at it by getting the new lower control arm. If that doesn't work, a 1" rubber spacer in the bottom spring pocket might just end my discomfort.

Steve
Yes the rear will affect the front!!! Raise the Lt rear up a little at a time!! After you get it where you want it,have it re-aligned!!This will give you more + Camber on the Rt. Front and more - Camber on the Lt Front!! And will affect the Caster and Toe a little!!:upthumbs

OK - Any thoughts would be helpful. I am considering VNV's theory of throwing more money at it by getting the new lower control arm. If that doesn't work, a 1" rubber spacer in the bottom spring pocket might just end my discomfort.

Steve

Steve, A new control arm will have no effect on the ride height, unless yours has been involved in a collision, and is bent out of shape.

So before throwing money at anything ( as if it's something we had to throw away ) you might want to take a close look at the placement of the coil springs. It might not be much to go on, but if the butt end of one of the top of the springs is in a different position relative to the opposite side, it quite possible that the ride hight of that side will be affected.

There is a slight depression at the top part of the spring pocket in the frame, and if the butt end of the spring is not properly seated in this depression , but slightly rotated, the height of that side will be affected. It might be hard to see once it's installed, but the position of the bottom of the spring might give you a clue, if they are not both in the exact same position.

As for the rear affecting the front, it might have a slight effect, if your spring had the duel mount, rather then installed in the normal position on the bottom of the differential.

My 0.02$

Stepinwolf

Just a thought raise it up on jack stands on a level concrete pad.does it still sit low on one side?

if yes then you have completely eliminated the suspention and should be looking for bad body mounts or other problems

Thanks

GMjunkie - I know when adjusting the ride heights on my Busch car jacking the springs arround would always affect the opposite side. So putting more height in the left rear will put more weight on the right front and less on the left front? Another guy on the team always did the set ups for the track. I will try it tonight.

Stepinwolf - when I purchased the car in 1977/8 the left front wheel was bent under - owner (brother-in-law) hit a curb. We replaced the lower arm with another used one. Had no height issues back then that I can remember. Spring is set with the top end in the depression just so that the hole shows - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch away.

IH2lose - will try the jack suggestion tonight - only I will use my sissors lift. Everything was nice an square, as I remember, when we had it on the frame rack.

Steve

Last night I first took measurements on the chassis from side to side and as best as I could do was to determine the rails were within 1/16. Then I adjusted up the rear spring until I got the most height out of the front - about 25 1/2" on both sides. The rear also ended up between 25 1/2 and 25 3/4 on both sides. Within the 'norm' but still not happy with the height in the front. Any more lift in the rear lowers the front and any less lift doesn't materially impact the front at this point.

At this point I think I am going to add the rubber spacers in the front lower control arm buckets and then jack the rear up. Right now the top of the fender lips cover the top of the tire and just does not look right and I am still concerned with the front fenders when coronering.

Thanks to those who responded.

Steve

[At this point I think I am going to add the rubber spacers in the front lower control arm buckets and then jack the rear up.]

Would be good to hear from others, but I tried the rubber "biscuits" with a pair of Guldstrand front coils years ago--one coil kept "slipping" in the A-frame socket. Was not pleased with the set up--FYI: I have a pair of VBP coils right now, but am seriously looking at SpeedDirect's Shark Bite adjustable coil over shock set up. They are coming out with a companion Shark Bite for rear next Spring. Let me know how your final fix works out...Mike

Gator05 - I will let you know what happens. Also, I like the idea of a coil-over. My father-in-law built a set for his C3 Corvette and they work great. I think he used 500 lb spings and can adjust the front end anywhere he wants. I would prefer an off the shelf item that could be easily replaced in case of a failure. I will check into the SpeedDirect piece - thanks for the tip.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom