Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ride height

72 Bluz

I'm trying to determine what I need to do as far as suspension work. I've felt for some time that Xena sat a little low, especially in the rear. Last night I measured from the grount to the bottom of the wheel well trim. The left rear measurement was 26.25" and the other three were 26.50". Is this the proper way to do it , and does this sound right? I looked in the shop manual but couldn't understand it. It said 30" front and 24"rear, but I think these were horizontal measurements from the center of the axle to a point on the frame. Any help is appreciated.

Bill

The absolute height to the lip will depend on the condition and type of body mounts. For your year model you have rubber between the frame and body. Also, the actual quarter panel may vary.

There is nothing wrong with that method to give you a point of reference.

You can tighten the spring bolts and raise the rear.

If that does not work, you can put a spacer between the bolt and spring to raise it a little higher until you reach a point you are happy with.

Looking at my assembly manual, I think what you were looking at was the measurement from the center of the axel to a point to take the height measurement from, measurement J&K from my manual.

Mines a 68 so these meaurements might be different than yours, but for J which is for the front it'ss about 8 1/8 inches.

K which is the rear measurement it's about 8 inches.

Just remember to take the numbers you listed and measure along side the car to find where to measure to get the height, Also and this is the kicker the measurement I gave you is to the bottom of the rocker panel to the ground.

To lower the rear you just need to tighten the outer spring bolts.

Hope this cleared things up some.

Rick

Rick- I think you mean loosten those nuts to lower the rear.As 69 stated tightening will raise the car.BTW mine is 28"

Dave

Yes, I want to raise the rear a little. BTW, the rubber bushings on the spring bolts look original so they will be replaced. I figure that will raise the rear a little, but don't know how much.

Once you get under there and start turning the nut (tighten it up), you will easily see the change in ride height.

After you install new bushings, you can easily unscrew the nut, until the ride height is satisfactory for you.

Burglar,

Of course that's what I meant, I just did mine a couple weeks ago.
It's amazing what the lack of sleep does to my mind.:crazy

Thanks for pointing it out to me:upthumbs

Rick

BTW Rick- are you bringing that hod red coupe of yours down to Carlisle next week?

Dave

Burglar,

I want to, it might be a good idea just to see if it's up to a long trip before the SharkFest.
I've been to Carlisle a couple times but never driven the vette.
I wanted to wait until I was more proud of her if you know what I mean. Until the motor was installed I didn't even want to open the hood.

Rick

Rick-You sound like me talking about my car.My freinds are always telling me to enter it in car shows.I always say"its not worthy".But after attending several of these bring what you got shows I feel darn good about mine.Its in much better condition than I give it credit for.

Dave

Dave,

I know what you mean, I went to the Syracuse Nationals parked outside and walked in.
There were some beautiful machines there, but alot of the cars there really made me wonder why I didn't drive it in.

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom