Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Right Rear Brake Light and Hazard Warning not working

My77Vette

I recently purchased a 77 Corvette and the rear brake lights were not working. I found the brake switch at the pedal to be defective so I replaced it and now the left side works fine. I replaced all 4 connectors on the rear and installed new bulbs and still the right brake light and hazard does not work. I checked the connector that is under the dash and found the yellow wire, feeding the left side to have voltage and I found the green wire, feeding the right side to not have any voltage. Where do I go from here? I can see when the hazards are on only the left side indicator in the dash flashes. Any ideas? I also found a 3 prong black unit that I thought at first was the flasher unit, but I then found the hazard flasher mounted on the fuse panel. What is this unit? See attached picture. Any idea? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Black Unit- Unknown.jpgI have found on my 77 the right rear brake light not working. Running lights work and turn signals work. I had no brake lights at all and found I had to replace the brake light switch. - See more at: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ard-back-up-lights-dont-work.html#post1160337

I have found on my 77 the right rear brake light not working. Running lights work and turn signals work. I had no brake lights at all and found I had to replace the brake light switch. - See more at: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ard-back-up-lights-dont-work.html#post1160337

I also found a 3 prong black unit that I thought at first was the flasher unit, but I then found the hazard flasher mounted on the fuse panel. What is this unit? See attached picture. Any idea? Thanks for any help you can provide.
View attachment 20410
This is your horn relay.
I recently purchased a 77 Corvette and the rear brake lights were not working. I found the brake switch at the pedal to be defective so I replaced it and now the left side works fine. I replaced all 4 connectors on the rear and installed new bulbs and still the right brake light and hazard does not work. I checked the connector that is under the dash and found the yellow wire, feeding the left side to have voltage and I found the green wire, feeding the right side to not have any voltage. Where do I go from here? I can see when the hazards are on only the left side indicator in the dash flashes. Any ideas?
Are you sure the right lamp flashes with the turn signal? (would have thought it more likely that it doesn't work at all)
Check for 12v coming out of the turn signal switch (the connector should be at the base of your steering column). If you still have nothing you'll need to replace the turn signal switch.

Right Rear Brake Light and Hazard Warning not working - See more at: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/newreply

This is your horn relay.

Are you sure the right lamp flashes with the turn signal? (would have thought it more likely that it doesn't work at all)
Check for 12v coming out of the turn signal switch (the connector should be at the base of your steering column). If you still have nothing you'll need to replace the turn signal switch.

Thanks for the comment on the horn relay. Horn does work, so I know it's a good part.

As for the brake light, yes the righ turn signal does work, but the brake light does not. I thought it to be odd too. Is there any chance the brake light not working may still have something to do with the turn signal switch? And I suppose you mean the switch in the steering column. Any chance the turn signal relay may have anything to do with my issue? I have a hard time believing it's a wire behind the dash since it seems to be harness-to-connector-to-connector-harness. I hope I don't have to take the dash apart and would home it's an in-line device. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Your brake lights run through the turn signal switch, so yes I do believe this is where the problem will be.
and yes I do mean the switch in the steering column.

Lights passing through steering column

Your brake lights run through the turn signal switch, so yes I do believe this is where the problem will be.
and yes I do mean the switch in the steering column.

Great! I will take a look at it. I greatly appreciate your help with this!

Removing Steering Wheel

Great! I will take a look at it. I greatly appreciate your help with this!

I attempted to take the steering wheel off and am stuck. I thought it would be exactly like the 79 I once had... see picture. I got as far as taking the clip off and center nut. I don't see anything else to remove except a pin around the 6 o'clock position. Is this suppose to come off easily? I also don't see a C clip under the end of the center rod as I had on my 79.... Do you know what the next step is? Thanks
Steering Wheel.jpg

I attempted to take the steering wheel off and am stuck. I thought it would be exactly like the 79 I once had... see picture. I got as far as taking the clip off and center nut. I don't see anything else to remove except a pin around the 6 o'clock position. Is this suppose to come off easily? I also don't see a C clip under the end of the center rod as I had on my 79.... Do you know what the next step is? Thanks
Sorry I can't help with that one. Hopefully someone else will know and answer this for you.

Isn't that the vega steering wheel they used one year (the 4 poke steering wheel)? As I see it just remove the clip and remove the nut. Then the steering wheel should come loose with some whiggling...
Normally the horn parts are inside the steering wheel, as your steering wheel is closed it is inside it.:)

Greetings Peter

Last edited:
If you want to go down to find the turn signal switch you need some extra tools. On my 81 it looked something like this..

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

Greetings Peter

Steering wheel removal

I figured out the next step is use the steering wheel puller. The steering wheel column and associated parts are from GM, so I did find on YouTube someone removing the same steering wheel on a Chevy Impala... Thanks! I'm good to go!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom