Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rim Directions

D

daveo

Hi, Had 2 new front tires that I purchased elsewhere put on at a local Chevy dealer. While sitting at a diner and looking outside at my car I see that the front rims (saw blades) are not symmetrical with the rears. The blades curve the other direction from the rears. I think L & R were switched. Tire direction is correct. Question: Is there any harm in running like this, and writing off this dealer from doing any more work to the car, or do I need to install so they match the rears, which will necessitate dis mount and remounting. thanks

Looking at the top part of the wheel, the blades should be pointing to the rear...this is the stock location from the factory. Alot of people think it looks cool to reverse this...and noticed a cleaner rim...as brake dust gets sucked inward...the downfall is, your eng. compartment will get dirty quicker. I have friends who have them both ways with no adverse afects on performance. Its a matter of personal tast, But I say leave them the way chevy intended...imo

I forgot to mention that my wife drives a '96 coupe, and a tire shop did the same exact thing with her new tires...directional tires going the same way...wheels pointing in differant directions. Go back and make them do it right! Good luck

This has happened to me several times, even Sears mounted my front tires incorrectly, the right was on the left and vice versa. Whenever I need new tires I always remind them that the wheels are directional.

The directional wheels are supposed to provide better brake cooling when mounted correctly.

What about raotating? Do you all just leave them where they are put the very first time?

What about raotating? Do you all just leave them where they are put the very first time?

Since 93, most Vettes have had different wheels front to rear and directional tires so rotating tires was not an option - unless you break them down and move them side to side and that's not an option with asymetric tires like the GSC.

Thanks Tuna, The dealer I got the car from had non directional tires on it when I got it, I plan to put directionals on when I replace next summer. I also had the front and rears in different directions and then fixed it this summer.

Thanks Tuna, The dealer I got the car from had non directional tires on it when I got it, I plan to put directionals on when I replace next summer. I also had the front and rears in different directions and then fixed it this summer.

Since the newest C4 is now 10-11 years, that's not a surprise. In the long round, it's better to have the wheels in the correct position on the car with the tires rotating the correct direction also. You're asking the right questions to the right group of people and you'd get good answers here.

Enjoy you Corvette and have fun.

There are two drawbacks to having the wheels mounted backwards:

1. the wheels as installed by the factory were designed to cool the brakes better, and

2. everyone who knows these cars will point out to you (to your unending annoyance) that your wheels are mounted backwards.

Dealer needs to know

The dealer needs to know what happened and correct it at no cost. Perhaps the dealer has had other complaints about the workmenship of this employee. But in any case something as important as properly mounted wheels should be brought to the dealers attention. Would you want this guy putting on brakes or suspension parts or rebuilding your engine or working on a loved ones car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom