Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Road Trip

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hey all,

Im from Delaware, but working in Maine for the summer until the University starts back up again. I REALLY miss the vette. My question to all of you, is how many of you take your vettes on long road trips? Im planning on returning to Maine at points throughout the year, I've made some great friends and want to visit. I have a 75 auto with pretty good gearing - gets about 15-17 mpg. This trip is about 600 miles or so, about 9 hrs on I95. I need advise for the longest trip I've taken the vette out on was for 3hrs to PA, not a problem. What should I look out for, besides the obvious tire pressure, fluids and temp.

Any advise would be great ...

Thanks all

If you feel confident driving your vette for short jaunts around town and surrounding areas, I don't see the difference of taking a much longer road trip when all that is doing is basically taking all those short trips and lumping them into one big trip. Your vette should still remain the reliable vehicle it is.

Now, for myself, I cannot sit that long in a car. ANY car! So I don't take my vette on long trips anymore. When I lived in CA, the longest I drove was about 4 hours (200 miles) and I was very tired when I arrived at the end of the trip. Tired from sitting, tired from gripping the wheel and just plain tired!

Be aware of your vette, what has been replaced recently, what is due to be replaced soon and of course do the usual fluids/air/belts/hoses checks.

Enjoy your trip!
Heidi :w

I dont mind the hours so much as making sure the car's ok - to me the trip is sure worth the 10 hours or so. Just need caffine and the right music.

Road Trips

Hi Kevin :w Rare81 & I drove our Sharks to Bowling Green from Modesto, California, in 2001 & 2002. Each trip clicked off just over 5000 miles. We had the confidence in our rides that they'd just keep running until we shut them off for the night. Bud aka Yoda aka Rare81, is a fanatic about keeping on top of all maintenance issues, and I picked up the same traits thru .... osmosis, or whatever. We knew our Vettes, knew what they were capable of and had no reservation in pushing them way past the point where other Shark owners would even consider. Believe me, many thought we were asking for trouble in taking our 20 year olds cross country. If they were neglected, yeah, it would have been different. You know your vette better than anyone else. Just as Heidi says - belts/hoses/fluids, etc. If you're on top of it, then you'll have the confidence to get out and run it !! :Steer Believe me, there is nothing better than a good road trip ! Enjoy the ride !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom