Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rocker panels/ sidepipes

B

Bill Meyer

Ok, I have just put '69 style sidepipes onto my '77. Now, yes, I am pleased w/ the "roar" but also a little nervous about the sound if the local police come by. This added to the eventual Pete Jackson gear drive this winter- hard time wiping the grin off my face. (-= NOw, to the question- in installing my fiberglass sidepipe covers I removed the rocker panels that were on- should I have left them on? Seems like there is a gap at the top just under the door where you see my light blue paint- is this correct or should I leave them/ put them on so as to be behind the sidepipes? thanks in advance.

Bill,

They should be on, though you will have a battle on your hands.
I understand you have to install them with the sidepipes loose.

Chris (aka 69myway) might be able to explain better as he has recently gone through this himself. Understand that he is trying to get ready for the Sharkfest and has an oil leak to deal with.

You just need to take your time.

Goodluck,

Rick

thanks, Richard, will contact '69 My Way. :cool :w

Hey Bill,
are these the header type sidepipes, or is it one large sidepipe?

I first installed the headers, then pipes, then the rockers. I had to dimple the rockers where the pinch bolt goes on the very opening of the side pipe, and I cut a notch about 14" long, and about 2" up into the bottom of the front of the rocker to give me room to slip them into place.

I then drilled and tapped out the body screw holes and upgraded to a stainless cap head bolt all the way down for a more industrial/race look.

Here of some pics.

BTW, my driver rocker was already messed up bad before I started the project. I am missing the first 1.5" of it. With the car being all black, I did not figure many people would notice. These are the 1970 and up rockers.

Final note, I had them powder coated black after I had made the mod to slip them in place.

Right side pic.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom