Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rocker Panels

Sfiorito

Corvette
1981 Silver/Charcoal T-Top
I have an '81 Silver over Charcoal Gray vette. I was wanting to replace my original painted rocker panels with chromed ones. I've looked on the web, Corvette America and Eckler parts books, but can't seemed to find any chrome ones. Does anyone know of a source that might carry the chromed panels?

I don't think I've ever seen any.....sorry

Sfiorito ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Welcome aboard and thanks for registering at the L81VetteRegistry ;)

Here is a fairly simple way to get that chromed look ;)
Remove the side rocker panels and strip the Black Paint off, then you can polish the aluminum to shine almost as good as Chrome. I've known a lot of folks that have done it.

The results will surprise you and I think you'll like the results, if not you can always repaint them or take them and have them Chromed.. I like "Mothers" aluminum polish for getting the best shine ;)

Welcome aboard and enjoy the :Steer

Bud

You might look at other years of Sharks to see if they are polished instead of painted. I'm not sure if the '81s were clear anodized before painting or not. If so they will be hard to polish. Most aluminum trim on GM cars that is left polished is clear anodized to keep it from tarnishing. You will need to get the anodizing removed and then buff them. Try polishing and see what happens.

A professional metal polising company may be the best way to go for a nicer finished product.

Tom

Bud, Thanks a bunch for the info and the idea. I'll probably give it a try.

Yours and Bud's information has been very helpful. Look's like another little project at hand. Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom