Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Roll Bar or Cross Bar???

• Thread starter Thread starter DDSLT5
  • Start date Start date
D

DDSLT5

Hey guys - who can help me with a source and opinions on a roll bar or cross bar for my 90 ZR1? I am mostly interested in this for its ability to have a 'bottle' mounted on it, out of the way so that I can still use the hatch area for luggage etc. I also don't want too much interference in my rear vision. Whose got some ideas?

Thanks guys,

:w

Rob - do you think that bar will impede the tilt of the seat at all? I am guessing not, since the body itself behind the lower half of the seat does a splendid job of this already!!

Thanks for the speedy reply!!

:bu

I have a harness bar with 5 point belts and a fire extinguisher, I'll see if I can dig up a photo for you to see how it, looks also has a video camera mount

DDSLT5 said:
Rob - do you think that bar will impede the tilt of the seat at all? I am guessing not, since the body itself behind the lower half of the seat does a splendid job of this already!!

Thanks for the speedy reply!!

:bu

Unfortunately, Dave would probably be better at answering than I am since I don't have any experience with his products.

Let us know what you decide upon. :)

supernatural400 said:
I have a harness bar with 5 point belts and a fire extinguisher, I'll see if I can dig up a photo for you to see how it, looks also has a video camera mount

Sounds good - pics would be helpful!!!

I had the Arizona Speed and Marine bar in my car with 5 point belts. I used it to mount a fire extingsher and camera mount. But a bottle, I don't think it would handle that very well. I do have pictures, but I don't know how to post on this forum.

I just sold my harness bar because I am installing an auto power roll bar as soon as it arrives. (Been on order for 3 weeks)
But the roll bar will kill your rear view and I won't be able to store my top. No big deals for me, I race my car more than drive it on the street.
So it just depends what you want, but I don't think a Harness bar made by anyone can really hold a No2 Bottle secure, safely.
Just my thoughts,
Ed

Heres a couple of shots of my speed marine harness bar with point belts, fire extinguisher and camera mount

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

I was planning on going last year, but a company closing squashed that. I was planning on this year but it's still to far away to tell.

Hey, thanks for the pics Supernatural 400 - I've checked out the AZ speed and marine website and it looks like a nice set-up - won't block the rear visibility too much and will hold the camera and extinguisher nicely. I've given up on the idea of mounting the bottle on the bar - I'll just mount it off to one side in the hatch area, and be sure it is well secured. I do want to have an extinguisher in the car though - just good insurance!! Thanks for posting the pics!!

:beer

Hey DDSLT5

If you want to save room I,ve seen some mount the bottle in the spare tire compartment under the car and had a remote bottle opener set up....It could also be safer to have it outside the drivers compartment in case of a wreck or rollover...I think there is also a bar to replace the spare since it is designed as part of the crash protection designed into the car..Tim

If you have a rollover a fire extinguisher is going to be the least of your worries. You need to have readily available as you probably be putting out and engine fire if you do have one. My bottle is mounted securely to the bar ans it's right there should I need it, without having run around the car side to get at it. i have also seen it mounted on the floor in front of either the passenger or drivers seat

Sorry I meant that a nos bottle be mounted in the spare tire carrier ...I,m with supernatural on wanting the fire bottle within reach.....:pat

Rob said:
You may want to talk to Dave at R-D Racing: http://www.r-dracing.com/

I have been using Dave Cross Bar (and Camber Brace) for about a year, with a 5-point harness, You still have full movement of the seats!! I have the fire extinguisher mounted in front of the drivers seat. Couldn't tell you if the Cross Bar would hold a NOS bottle or not call or e-mail Dave, he's a real nice guy, great to work with!!:beer

Gary96LT4 said:
I have been using Dave Cross Bar (and Camber Brace) for about a year, with a 5-point harness, You still have full movement of the seats!! I have the fire extinguisher mounted in front of the drivers seat. Couldn't tell you if the Cross Bar would hold a NOS bottle or not call or e-mail Dave, he's a real nice guy, great to work with!!:beer

Don't think I would mount a NOS botle on a harness bar. First you would need to run both braided lines right by your head, and the second line which is the dump line would be kind much with all that stuff runnning inside the car. there no real way to hide it. and if you also had the remote bottle opener and heater, you would have a ton of wires, line etc all over the place. You could do it probably a 8-10lb bottle but it would look like hell

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom