Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Roof Panel Recall #05112

M

marjoc6

Had my 05 DSOM checked today. They use a feeler gauge to to check for spacing at the leading and trailing edges of the panel. Mine failed the test and they have ordered a new panel. Never had a rattle or squeek from the panel or any indication of any problem. Hope the new one fits as well as the OE.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what they did to check it. I guess I will have to make plans to take mine in to be checked. I was not in any hurry because I have not seen or heard anything.

Here is acopy of the NHTSA Complaint on the roof panel problem. Sounds a little scary to me.

: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Year: 2005
Complaint Number: 10136749
Summary:
DETACHABLE PAINTED ROOF DELAMINATES FROM FRAME WHILE STILL ATTACHED TO CAR, LEADING TO POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO OTHER VEHICLES IF ROOF SEPARATES FROM FRAME WHILE DRIVING. ORDERED A NEW ROOF, BACK ORDERED, AND STILL USING CAR. SECOND VEHICLE AT SAME DEALER IN COCONUT CREEK FL (LOU BACHRODT) HAD ONE SO BAD THAT SIMPLY CLOSING THE REAR HATCH MADE PART OF THE ROOF JUMP 1 FOOT OFF OF ATTACHED FRAME. THUS SIMPLY A MISSILE AWAITING LAUNCH AT HIGHWAY/ROADWAY SPEEDS. *JB

marjoc6 said:
Here is acopy of the NHTSA Complaint on the roof panel problem. Sounds a little scary to me.

: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Year: 2005
Complaint Number: 10136749
Summary:
DETACHABLE PAINTED ROOF DELAMINATES FROM FRAME WHILE STILL ATTACHED TO CAR, LEADING TO POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO OTHER VEHICLES IF ROOF SEPARATES FROM FRAME WHILE DRIVING. ORDERED A NEW ROOF, BACK ORDERED, AND STILL USING CAR. SECOND VEHICLE AT SAME DEALER IN COCONUT CREEK FL (LOU BACHRODT) HAD ONE SO BAD THAT SIMPLY CLOSING THE REAR HATCH MADE PART OF THE ROOF JUMP 1 FOOT OFF OF ATTACHED FRAME. THUS SIMPLY A MISSILE AWAITING LAUNCH AT HIGHWAY/ROADWAY SPEEDS. *JB

Now that IS scary. Last I checked, my dealer said they did not yet have the parts for this repair(should it be needed). I also have no noise or other odd things. Of course, I have had the top off just three times in over a year.

:beer

I had no indications of the problem. Today I got the notice that my new roof panel is at the dealer. This whole thing is unbelieveable.

I have a lot of popping noise but it hasn't reached 50 degrees here

Sqeeky brakes, failing roof panels

Man-o-man makes you wonder what else is wrong...I hope when I get my notice about the roof panel they'll have a "engineered solution" to the Z51 noisy brakes. The credability is waning fast

mcpell
06 Le Mans Coupe

Can you imagine going across Alligator alley at about 140 and that thing coming off. That would be an experience! tls

i haven't received a recall notice yet, should i take the car in right away or wait for the notice in the mail ?

I have an 06 - I did not receive a notice and my VIN is outside the range, but my dealer's service dept still took a look at my roof for me when I was in for an oil change.

Point being, i wouldn't just go there specifically for the roof, but if you happen to have the car in for another reason, I'm sure they would look at it

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom