Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rotors and brake pads for 2000 vette?

Tigershark_11

Corvette
2000 pewter convertable 6m
Hi guys,

My vette is due for a brake job so I’m looking to buy 4 new rotors and brake pads. Any suggestions on what is a good brand to go with? I’m not looking to spend $1000's of dollars on some name brand. AC delco has drilled and slotted rotors for a reasonable price. Anyone have them on their car or know of another brand I should go with for rotors and pads that are good but not crazy in price?

Thanks Bob.

Zip Products sells a reasonably prices drilled/grooved rotor for C5s. They're about 125 ea. See: http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={d027122f-07e0-4654-8b5d-a440d42710b9}&gid={57145f63-5a54-4dc8-83ec-781d92ab8c4b}&GroupName=Performance+Brake+Rotors+%26+Hoses&pname=97-10+Hiperf+Drilled+%26+Slotted+Brake+Rotor&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

These units might even be the ACD rotors but I'd get them from Zip because those guys support the CAC and our hobby in general.

Hi guys,

My vette is due for a brake job so I’m looking to buy 4 new rotors and brake pads. Any suggestions on what is a good brand to go with? I’m not looking to spend $1000's of dollars on some name brand. AC delco has drilled and slotted rotors for a reasonable price. Anyone have them on their car or know of another brand I should go with for rotors and pads that are good but not crazy in price?

Thanks Bob.
Replaced mine last year -ATE slotted rotors with Satified Pro Ceramic pads. Bought everything from the Tirerack. Great price and great combination. My club did a run up and down Mt. Equinox in Manchester Vt. (approx 4000ft elev.) We took over the 2.5mi road and ran "slightly" over the posted speed limit.Some people had to pull over on the down side because of brake fade but I had no problems at all. Very happy!

dont buy the ac delco zo6 upgrade xdrilled and slotted rotors if you drive hard or like track time. they warp easily. DBA makes a really great 2 piece set for the front and 1 piece for the rear that are 1200$ for the whole set. Use those with a set of zo6 calipers, braided lines and pads of your choice ( i use the ac delco ceramics for the street, hawk for the track )for a great combo at a decent price.

I've always put Delco back on the GM cars that I've owned. Good product for a fair price.

Some guys also like the NAPA products for the same reason. Never used them myself but quite a few Corvette guys like their products.

I always use the NAPA rotors that are about $30 each. Rock Auto has them too.

I track the car quite a bit and you don't have to turn them just toss them.

I would use the Porterfield R-4S pad for street and autocross, they dust much less and are better stopping than the ceramics.

Got GM OEM front rotors for $22.80 rears were fine

I used GM semimetallac pads and replaced my front rotors at about 60k miles as the front rotors had been previously turned at 36k miles.
Ceramic pads don't show as much brake dust but do need to be heated up to stop as well as semimatallac pads. I trade brake dust for stopping power. After all brakes are meant to STOP the car not look pretty.
Drilled rotors can crack no matter what brand you buy.
Slotted rotors are OK but will wear the pads faster.
Almost NO ONE gets WARPED rotors. If not properly bedded they will pulsate. Simply rebed the rotors and the pulsating will disapear.
Rear rotors looked almost new at 60k. I did remove them and adjust the star wheels to allow the parking brake to actually work.
Stealership lied to me and said all C5s have lousy parking brakes.
BS
Simply adjust star wheels until a very light drag is felt and back off a hair.
My parking brake can stop the car dead now.
BIGHANK

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom