Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumors of AWD vette

LMN8R

Corvette
1998 Black Coupe
There is a rumor going around that Porsche Engineering Services in Germany is helping to design an AWD system for the C6. Is there any support for this? I'm not sure I can even validate the existence of "Porsche Engineering Services" as a stand-alone company.

Just curious.

An AWD C5 Corvette was discussed in the book ACAR as a possibility. Its always a possibility I guess. If one would emerge it would be on the next Z06 type car IMO.

A what??

We can only hope that they leave it alone, I think 4 wheel drive sucks as much as DOHC. KISS is the only way to build a true sports car.

:eyerole :mad :eek

An AWD, Mid Engine Corvette was the dream of Zora Arkus-Duntov over 40 years ago. Yet, GM fought the idea all the way.

Had GM listened and took the plunge. The Mosler MT900 could have been a look at what the Corvette could be now. Dave McLellan spoke highly of the Mosler in his book Corvette form the Inside .

Quote from book..."With only development, the 500-hp, 2,500-lb Corvette is clearly possible. I know, because I have driven it. This level of power to weight would propel the Corvette to 60 mph in 3.0 seconds, with a 1/4 mile time of 11.0 seconds at over 130 mph. The top speed for this Corvette projectile is more than 200 mph. The car that is the basis for this extraordinary performance is the Mosler MT900."

Can the C5/6 chassis be modified in a manner suitable to support an AWD car? For some reason, I thought that this thing was strictly supposed to be a RWD chassis.

Re: A what??

Dad said:
We can only hope that they leave it alone, I think 4 wheel drive sucks as much as DOHC. KISS is the only way to build a true sports car.

:eyerole :mad :eek

Dad,
I beleive one drive in an LT5 powered ZR1 would change your view of DOHC. A stock ZR1 is a blast....a 415 ZR1 is a wild beast. The most awesome car I have ever had the pleasure of driving.

Nick :w

Screw AWD (although it couldn't hurt), give me an MT 900! I told my wife that when the stable gets big enough for a second "Corvette", the MT 900 would be it. Now where did I put that extra $100,000...

Corvette 4x4!! What a great idea! Where do I sign up??
img190L.jpg

David

And I hear that a factory flame job is to be included!
Corvette4x4-vi.jpg

David

If Fotki snatches the pic above, try here:
Flamed 4x4

that would also drive the cost of the car way up,thats the good thing about the vette,its the most affordable sports car in the world.can compete with cars that cost 3 times as much,spend a little on a supercharger that wont void the warrenty and good times ahead,later,Todd.

hawaii-5-lo said:
that would also drive the cost of the car way up,thats the good thing about the vette,its the most affordable sports car in the world.can compete with cars that cost 3 times as much,spend a little on a supercharger that wont void the warrenty and good times ahead,later,Todd.

I don't think we will see a AWD Vette anytime soon. But.....do you guys think that it is time for GM to seriously consider a Mid-Engine Design soon?

hey everyone,
maybe they will have two maybe call it options,you can get 2 wheel or the 4 wheel option.it would not suprise me to see them at least discussing it,remember also bmw purcashed rights to the c4 rear suspension for the m-3,anything is possible,there maybe lots of changes inthe future,i was reading literature along the lines of all auto makers must be making all model cars electric(hydrogen/batteries-something like that)by the year 2015.thats only a couple (or less ) generations of vettes away,so you know that this is high on the priority list,thats also why i dont think any of these super motor cars are in development,such as 2 cam or 4 cam or no-cam engines.maybe all wheel drive will migrate in with the electric corvette,sounds funny hunh!thats progression,another reason i will keep my c5.later,Todd.

a guy in are car club has a 'cyclone',remember these?all wheel drive turbo trucks,his is stock and runs 12s,i will take a picture this weekend,later,Todd.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom