Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Run Flat repair

• Thread starter Thread starter ddmau
  • Start date Start date
D

ddmau

I awoke this morning to find a half-inch chunk of metal in my right rear Goodyear Eagle F1. Yayyy:Twist Can these original equipment tires be repaired or must it be replaced at + $300.?:confused

Nevermind

I got the answer...they are reapirable.:BOW

Thank you, that explains why no one I called today was willing to touch it. One said the sensors are way to expensive to replace if you don't know what you're doing. Hopefully the local dealership can help me tomorrow.

The greatest danger you will face is going to a shop that doesn't understand runflats. If they don't have a "no touch" mounting machine, they will try to pry the tire off using the rim as leverage. The result will be a severely dinged up rim. Ask around the Corvette community where you live and see if they have a recommendation. Good luck.
Paul

From my own experience, there are places on the tire carcass that can be repaired, and places that cannot. If it is right along the shoulder of the tire tread, it cannot be repaired.

I had an interesting thing happen one time. I took my '97 with Goodyear EMT's in to repair a hole. The inner 1" of the tire was badly worn, and I knew that I needed new tires and an allignment (I bought the car this way). When the Goodyear place removed the tire, they said they could not repair it because of the location of the puncture. They would not re-mount the tire because the tread was illegal.. They did not have a tire to sell me. They did not seem to have an answer about what I should do while they held my car hostage. In the end, I did get the tire re-mounted. I took my business elsewhere after that.

Aside from breaking the tire warranty, what big reason is there not to use tire plugs? I put one on my front tire almost a year ago, kicked the speed up to 120 mph, and I haven't had to put a bit of air into it since. I plan on doing the same to my rear tire this afternoon...I have three nails in the same tire, and I don't want to replace it yet.

There is no one in this town willing to touch the tire due to the sensors but a Goodyear dealer in Houston states he will reapir it if possible but it will no longer be considered high performance because it will be compromised.

But at $30. for repair as opposed to $400.+ for a new one I will elect the repair.:eyerole

Try this link: http://www.goodyear.com/email/faq.html

I sent them a question from this link regarding runflat mounting and repair and who to see in my area. A lady called me from Goodyear within 24 hours with answers to all my questions including an address and phone number to the nearest service location that had the equipment and training to handle runflats. It happened to be a NTB store. She had even called them to verify the information.

I was impressed with Goodyear's quick and thorough response.

Johnny McGee
Villa Rica, GA

Thanks Johnny, I have located a Goodyear store that is going to handle the situation. It's a good thing these tires will run...flat.;)

Look for a low mile used Corvette run-flat tire on ebay. One that has never been patched. Many people take off the run-flats because they are noisey.

leaftye said:
Aside from breaking the tire warranty, what big reason is there not to use tire plugs?
Hi there,
The largest reason is for the speed rating of the tire.
Speed ratings are the top speed that you can SUSTAIN without thermal breakdown of the carcass due to heat and stress.
When you install a plug, friction from the plug in the carcass and the flex of the tire will create heat and friction. This will lower the given speed rating that you can SUSTAIN.
Plain and simple, a VERY dangerous situation.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

I believe I read somewhere that plugging can cause the steel belts to separate apart where the plug is, causing a weak spot in the tire at that point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom