Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Running temps

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
I don't think i have a problem but want to be sure. I've noticed my temps seem to be a lot higher than normal since changing the ratio in my diff from 2.72 to 3.36.
Before my coolant temp would never go over 200 but now regularly goes up to around 220, and the oil temp which would never go over 250 seems to go to 280 (or whatever the mark between 250 and 320 is) We don't get high summer temps here only around 80-85 on the warmest days and I'm not using the A/C. I get these temps when cruising at about 70mph for 20mins or more.
Do I need to look at this more or does everything seem ok?

Make sure you air dams around the radiator are in place and secured,so the air goes thru the radiator and not over it.
Other than that be sure your coolant is full and at the proper rating

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Make sure you air dams around the radiator are in place and secured,so the air goes thru the radiator and not over it.
Other than that be sure your coolant is full and at the proper rating

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
All Air dams are in place.
I may give the cooling system a flush just to be sure. (Its probably due for one anyway)

Soft lower radiator hose might also be the culprit. Also, if the hose had one of the springs in it, I've seen them rot away to nothing. Since you put gears in it that will make the engine rev higher for any given road speed, the water pump will also be turning faster. I've seen lower hoses that would get pulled shut when the rpm's were brought up. Might be worth checking out.......
Andy

I don't think i have a problem but want to be sure. I've noticed my temps seem to be a lot higher than normal since changing the ratio in my diff from 2.72 to 3.36.
Before my coolant temp would never go over 200 but now regularly goes up to around 220, and the oil temp which would never go over 250 seems to go to 280 (or whatever the mark between 250 and 320 is) We don't get high summer temps here only around 80-85 on the warmest days and I'm not using the A/C. I get these temps when cruising at about 70mph for 20mins or more.
Do I need to look at this more or does everything seem ok?

220*F is ok, but is a little high for cruising speeds. Check for any air flow losses/restrictions including the radiator.

If you went from 2.72 to 3.36, your engine is running faster at highway speed and that might be part of the reason why it's running at 220 on the highway.

That said, it does seem a big high considering the warm-but-not-hot ambient.

First, check the accuracy of the car's temp gauge with a known good gauge. If that's ok, then start going over your cooling system...look for restricted radiator, missing air dam parts, excessive debris restricting cooling air flow, faulty thermostat, faulty pressure cap, leaks....

Also, check to make sure the timing is not retarded or if the engine is running lean.

Last edited:
All seems better now. Flushed the coolant and now only seeing about 205 for the coolant, oil temps are not quite as high as they were but take longer to get there and drop faster.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom