Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

runs/drip marks on paint

S

SteveH

When I look at the paint on my 81 from a certain angle or in certain light I see what appears to be faint drips or runs. looks like someone sprayed a cleaner on the car and and it stripped the wax or something. no matter how much I wash or wax the car the drips wont come out. It does not appear to be the paint.

I also see what appears to be a partial hand print on the front fender, like someone was leaning on the car with something on the hand.

anybody any experience with that?

Hmmmm. I've had to contend with greasy hand prints from mechanics, and I've inadvertantly gotten 'degreaser' type cleaners on the side of my car which weren't friendly to the wax job, but every time I've washed/waxed the car it's taken care of it. I'm no detailing professional, but I'd suggest some good polish/wax first -- I buff in Turtle Wax Extreme Cleaner-Wax -- then if that doesn't work, maybe you need to rub out the areas that are affected with a mild rubbing compound, then polish/wax over it. I'm sure you'll get other suggestions, too.... we have a ton of 'high polish' enthusiasts in this forum !!!!!

Steve,

There is a simple answer at least to the ghost runs. That is where the painter got a little happy with the gun and laid too much paint in that spot and got some serious runs in the paint. They went back later and lightly sanded the runs out using a flat block, plenty of fresh water, and super fine sand paper. After they are blocked flush with the car, they hit them with the buffer. The darker the color the more obvious they may appear to be. What happens is the paint still reacts and or shrinks a little over time and the area where the run is will re-appear. There is nothing you can do about it, other than repaint. What you have is a distortion in the finish (usually the clear coat) not unlike that of a lense change in your glasses, or camera. Although it is clear, there is just enough difference in the lay up of the material to bounce light different and leave the illusion of a run that is no longer there.

Hope that answers it for you! I would also bet that somebody touched the car while it was in primer/sealer, or just before spraying and the hand print was not chemically cleaned off. Therefore the paint reactact to the oils left in the hand print like a forensic detectives dream come true..

This is why I will avoid all mechanical work possible before painting, I won't let anybody touch a car I have in primer, and I will wash it two or three times with dishwashing grease fighting detergent, then two or three chemical wipe baths before topcoating.

Hi Chris, I have a question about the handprint / fingerprint problem if people touch the primered car before the paint goes on. How long does it take for the problem to show up? The reason I ask is because the Blue Beast sat in the shop with primer only for a long time so who knows how many people touched it before it was painted, and I'm not sure if they did any chemical cleaning before it was painted. It looks good now, but is it possible they'll show up later?

Thanks,
Barb :w

BBB454 said:
Hi Chris, I have a question about the handprint / fingerprint problem if people touch the primered car before the paint goes on. How long does it take for the problem to show up? The reason I ask is because the Blue Beast sat in the shop with primer only for a long time so who knows how many people touched it before it was painted, and I'm not sure if they did any chemical cleaning before it was painted. It looks good now, but is it possible they'll show up later?

Thanks,

Usually the oils will move to the top fast. However, in cooler climates, and if they did not bake the car to force dry, a bubble/oil impregnation may not pop until it sits in the hot direct summer sunlight.

hand oil

78 has bubbles under the paint at the tips of her doors, where the hardware was removed and where the shopmen used their fingers to open the door.
Sil

Re: hand oil

78SilvAnniv said:
78 has bubbles under the paint at the tips of her doors, where the hardware was removed and where the shopmen used their fingers to open the door.
Sil

Ooooo I'll bet you're :mad! I know I would be!! Can you get them to fix it?

Not now...

...we moved to Georgia. They're in Washington state.

If it cracks apart, I do have where I had listed it as a concern that I wanted them to address...and I have a lawyer friend in WA that owes me a favor.
Sil

My Black on Black is starting to bubble near the driver's door handle, but more at the passenger's door handle. There is also a bubble forming near the right front fender over the wheel.

There were NO bubbles when I bought the car in Wisconsin. I live in Louisiana so the sun does hit the car pretty badly during the summer. I drive it daily and will look into stripping and repainting it in a few years, for now all I will do is try to keep from popping the bubbles. The paint still looks good, just has these bubbles forming. :bang

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom