Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rusted body bolts

69vette427

Taking the body off .Tried to loosen #3 and #4 bolts on the left side. #4 turns but feels like the nut is just spinning. Don't see any access holes to get to the nuts. How does one get the mounting bolts off that been sitting for 38 years.;help

Taking the body off .Tried to loosen #3 and #4 bolts on the left side. #4 turns but feels like the nut is just spinning. Don't see any access holes to get to the nuts. How does one get the mounting bolts off that been sitting for 38 years.;help
I soak them with PB Blaster for a Couple days!!!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes Oh Damn, the one that is spinning will Inhale!!!!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoesYou will probly have to cut it and repair after the body is raised!!!:upthumbs
:D:D

The #4 is a caged nut up inside the interior might need two people for that one. Or just burn the bolt off. Another for the #2 and #3 is drill a 3/16 hole in the washer close to the head of the bolt. Load it up with P Blaster and let it soak.

Removing the #4 bolt is easy, blow the head off with a torch, or spend some time with a dremel.

The #3 is more difficult and time consuming. If you look between the fiberglass and frame where the frame kicks up, you will be able to see the #3 cage. You can try pounding the end of a 1/8th rod into a wedge and jam it into the cage to stop the nut from turning. Of course, you will need to move the nut into a position so the wedge will jam between the flat of the hex nut and cage. If this method doesn't work for you, you can drill a 1/4 hole in the back side of the top frame cage. With a stick welder and 1/8 2016 rod, push the rod into the 1/4 hole and tack weld the nut to the top of the frame cage. You need to get your angles right and keep the nut tight to the cage roof. I used this method and it stopped the nut and the bolt came out. Good luck, it is another PITA job!

I replaced the #4 mounts on my mine and had to cut them off from the outside. The nut is held in place by a nut cage that is rivited to the fiberglass, so if it is spinning then the rivits are rusted, broke and/or gone. My right side #4, the fiberglass was also gone - broken away; I had to cut and machine an aluminum plate as a base to connect the new nut cage to. It worked very good but was a PITA!
Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom