Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rustprooging and POR-15

Corvette
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
Rustproofing and POR-15

I've gotten my new rear shocks and camber strut rods in, well with the exception of that one castle bolt I have to find. Not only are the different diameters and thread configurations, some are taller than the others. The one I was able to locate on a Sunday is slightly taller and I couldn't get the cotter pin in the hole.

While I had the left rear wheel off, I did the POR-15 thing on the outside, top and bottom of the frame that I could reach.

http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/rear_suspension.htm

1st Question: It's apparent that I am not going to be able to get into every nook and cranny with a paint brush. I was thinking of taking Rustoleum and spraying into those areas. What do you guys think, or does someone have a better idea.

2nd Question: POR-15 needs a top coat. I was thinking of spraying over it and other parts under my car with undercoating. In fact, you can see in one of the pictures where I have sprayed undercoating on the underside of the wheel well.

Bob

Corvette
Seen it Ken. Thanks for the referral though. It gave me some of the background on POR-15 and how to use it. Now I'm looking for some feedback on the final coat.

Definitely believe Twinnie on the use of gloves. I got some on my upper arm and above the gloves and about the only way to get it off is to take a scrub brush to your skin.

Bob

Paranoid

Corvette
1970 454 4sp Coupe
Personally I wouldn't use undercoating on any vehicle except a daily driver in a snow belt. But that's just my opinion. Why ruin a nice durable finish with spray-on tar? I've used POR-15 a few times and am currently planning on purchasing their engine enamel for my BB rebuild.

All you really need to do is top coat the POR-15 for a durable finish. Make sure you use their 3-step method. I top-coated my frame with high-gloss enamel but in hindsight I shoulda used a semigloss or flat.

R

RustyVette

Bob,

I've been painting the underside of my car with POR-15 as well. Sort of an off and on project that has been going on for about 6 wks now. My understanding is that POR-15 only needs a top coat for cosmetic reasons, it turns an ugly color when exposed to UV. None of mine has changed as yet. I did purchase the POR Chassis coat that I plan to topcoat the POR-15 with. May take a while thought as it mean repainting everything again.

POR-15 is TOUGH stuff!! (I am beginning to be concerned about some of the bolts I painted!!) Rust---- is just paint, IMHO, and not worth the effort or expense. Get a smaller brush and shove that POR-15 into the corners, pretty ain't as important as coverage.

Rusty

B

BBB454

I've never used POR-15, but I used to work for Rust-Oleum. Rust-Oleum paint will only cover up existing rust, and the rust will come back through pretty quickly. They also do sell a product that bonds with rust and stops it, but if I recall correctly you have to paint that on so you might as well just do the best you can with the POR-15.

Barb :w

Corvette
Thanks Barb. Thats good to know.

The metal-ready that comes with the POR-15 does a good job of getting rid of the rust and coating the metal with zinc. The beauty of that is that if you are sloppy, I am, you can just spray the remainder off with water. So you can go to town with this stuff getting everywhere where you have to be more careful with the POR-15.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom