Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rusty Birdcage

locks

Corvette
1980 L48 4 speed rusty piece of crap:)
Well I got my 80 4speed home the other day. Interior all apart and parts/glass/seats etc... stuffed inside. Took everything out to inspect. I knew the floors had a couple of holes but was suprised to find rusted body mounts behind both kick panels. Bummed to say the least. I only paid 1500. It runs, has Hooker side pipes/headers, aluminum wheels with new tires, afore mention 4 speed. Is there an somewhat easy fix or should I part it out.

Rust in the kick panels at the #2 mounts is not uncommon. How much rust have you found? Post some pics.

:)

What you have described is certainly not enough to part out the car. You need to dig deeper and see exactly what you have before you do anything.

If its not too badly rusted, and you get lucky on where the rust is, you could probably patch it.

If its very badly rusted the easiest thing to do is replace the back half of the car from the bird cage back. That is rather expensive though and its not very likely you are going to find a donor car with less rust.

At least you only paid 1500. I paid 2700 for my rust bucket. :D

Rust in the kick panels at the #2 mounts is not uncommon. How much rust have you found? Post some pics.

:)

The rust is sheetmetal behind the panels so much so that you can see the mounts both top and bottom isolators. Not much metal between them and near gone going down.
This is my first vette. I did a search and found out just how common it is:hb

What you have described is certainly not enough to part out the car. You need to dig deeper and see exactly what you have before you do anything.

Well I bought the car from a friend. He bought it 10 years ago as a recovered theft with vandalism. Ballpeen hammer to most panels ( some bodywork done) Needs both front and rear bumper covers. The interior was all cut up and is now all apart. Nothing but wires and the shifter console. I have some used parts all different colors. No center gauge cluster.
Although its a 4 speed in 1980 its doesn't seem rare enough,if at all, to spend the amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ it needs to put it back together.

If its not too badly rusted, and you get lucky on where the rust is, you could probably patch it.

If its very badly rusted the easiest thing to do is replace the back half of the car from the bird cage back. That is rather expensive though and its not very likely you are going to find a donor car with less rust.

At least you only paid 1500. I paid 2700 for my rust bucket. :D

I'll try to get pics. Not sure how to post them.
Seems like a lot of work. Read my post above that tells in some detail the condition it's in. It seems to me I could sell it and get my money back or part it and make a little more then look for a good complete car ( must be a 4 speed ) that needs TLC for around 6000.

I'd call this "average."

DSC00963.jpg

How does what you found compare?

:thumb

I'll try to get pics. Not sure how to post them.
Seems like a lot of work. Read my post above that tells in some detail the condition it's in. It seems to me I could sell it and get my money back or part it and make a little more then look for a good complete car ( must be a 4 speed ) that needs TLC for around 6000.

Yeah it is a LOT of work. I have more time than I do money so that was the route for me. You could easily part it out and make back what you paid and more so.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom