Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Salvage vehicles

Highway Man

Corvette
1992 Black on Black Coupe
I just got through reading in another forum about some guy buying a flood damaged o5 vette for $23 grand and is having all kinds of problems with it. I don't know if anyone will be interested in this thread but here goes anyway. In my experiences I have owned a few salvage vehicles and most of them turned out to be pretty good vehicles but I have come to the point where I will never ever buy a salvage vehicle and I'll tell you why. Besides the potential problems a person may be in for the money that is saved upon purchase will be lost at the time of trade/sale. To me it just isn't worth it and I will never again go through the process of trying to sell/trade a salvage title vehicle. I really feel sorry for the guy that bought the flood damaged vette and I can sympathize with how he feels to have so much money invested in a car that doesn't even run. My wife and I were recently looking at some cars on a lot and you could tell that they had been flooded. I didn't even open the door to look inside. I don't care how good they look if they won't run they are worthless. I wonder if people would be better off if wrecked, flooded, and seriously damaged cars should all be totalled out and at the most sell the usable parts. Anyone want to share their opinion/experiences?

The wife and I just went through a reconditioned salvage title issue with her '91 Olds Cutlass. Someone backed into her drivers side doors and crinkled both of them...the pillar was untouched. The General said it would cost more to fix it that it was worth and totaled the car....great running car.

She could have kept it for $300.00 less, but I convinced her to throw in the towel and look for something else because of the resale value of the car...so now she's driving a Lincoln Continental and she's a happy camper.

:cool!: :happyanim:

I just got through reading in another forum about some guy buying a flood damaged o5 vette for $23 grand and is having all kinds of problems with it. I don't know if anyone will be interested in this thread but here goes anyway. In my experiences I have owned a few salvage vehicles and most of them turned out to be pretty good vehicles but I have come to the point where I will never ever buy a salvage vehicle and I'll tell you why. Besides the potential problems a person may be in for the money that is saved upon purchase will be lost at the time of trade/sale. To me it just isn't worth it and I will never again go through the process of trying to sell/trade a salvage title vehicle. I really feel sorry for the guy that bought the flood damaged vette and I can sympathize with how he feels to have so much money invested in a car that doesn't even run. My wife and I were recently looking at some cars on a lot and you could tell that they had been flooded. I didn't even open the door to look inside. I don't care how good they look if they won't run they are worthless. I wonder if people would be better off if wrecked, flooded, and seriously damaged cars should all be totalled out and at the most sell the usable parts. Anyone want to share their opinion/experiences?

Truthfully, it is hard to feel sorry for anyone who knowingly purchases a flood damaged, totaled or not yet totaled, vehicle. If the vehicle is purchased as an unknown flood vehicle then the situtation is much different, but knowningly is just plain not using the brains God gave you. Even just a "little flooded" is a totaled a vehicle and for good reason, as it will never be the same. Would you buy a sunk boat? Hopefully not. Flood damaged vehicles are generally useless, except for the very well informed and experienced who know how to make money on them, (ok, maybe not totally useless) as most buyers do not want to knowingly buy parts from one. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom