Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Satellite radio installation

F

FireLt90

Hi all. I'm about to receive an XM unit (portable one, not a new head unit) as a gift. I've seen a few threads about mounting the antenna but nothing about the install of the unit itself. How will I go about getting the sound from the unit to come through my stock Bose speakers without using one of those crappy FM transmitters? Is this an install I can do myself (not an electrical genius, here)? I'm kind of leery of letting some "electronics giant" hack go poking around in there.

thanks

I recently purchased a Pioneer INNO to use in my 95 only to find the FM modulator signal strength is useless. I bought an adapter that plugged into the radio antenna cable connection in series and the satellite radio antenna plugs into the little box the cables are connected to. This only worked marginally better, so I took it back to Best Buy. The only way I found to get quality sound from a newer portable unit is to use the cassette adapter that came with the unit. The older portable units had a stronger FM modulated signal, but the FCC put the clamp on the new ones and the signal strength is virtually useless. The Delco Roady unit I had before worked good on the FM modulator.
There are other direct connection units taht plug into the car antenna but they are a bit complicated in that they need a power source and have to be turned off to use the FM radio.

Or you could buy an 06 with XM built in.

Or you could buy an 06 with XM built in.

Um..yea. If you were to stop any 06 and up Vette you see on the road and ask what they do for a living, I'm quite sure it WON'T be a Fireman! To afford my taste in stuff, I should have went into investment banking! ;shrug

father & son

check out my XM install, the cassette works best for sound. FM sounds a little dull, but if you use the XM boost it sounds not too bad.
Good Luck, and happy listening
vette-01.jpg

Looks great. Nice and clean. Unfoutunately, I learned today that my cassette does work, nor does my cigarette lighter. I may have a problem.

I have Sirius Radio, Portable and use it all the time in my 91 Convert. I just put the Bose on 88.1 and my Sirius plays thru that. The anntenna I just rubberband to the visor and even if the top is up it works fine. Never had a problem with it or the sound.

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm sure I'll work something out one way or another.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom