Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Saw a 1998, what's it worth?

DaleD

Corvette
1987 White Coupe
Saw a maroon 1998, (don't know the C5 colors, sorry), C5 at a dealer today. It has new tires and wheels, 22k on the clock, 2 tops, auto. The dealer wants $23k for it. What's it worth?

97 and 98 had a few problems .A late c-4 is a better car.C-5's we're a better built car when ya get up to 2002 and newer.I wouldn't pay 23k for one.

97 and 98 had a few problems .A late c-4 is a better car.C-5's we're a better built car when ya get up to 2002 and newer.I wouldn't pay 23k for one.

I'm reading some stuff about oil consumption. I vaguely know something about a column lock bypass, not sure of the details.

The 98 is not worth messing with?

I have an early C4, btw.

I'm reading some stuff about oil consumption. I vaguely know something about a column lock bypass, not sure of the details.

The 98 is not worth messing with?

I have an early C4, btw.
Lets put it this way I'd rather have a good 87 than a 98.I had an 87 and it was problem free for a lot of miles.

Lets put it this way I'd rather have a good 87 than a 98.I had an 87 and it was problem free for a lot of miles.

Thanks for the input.
Mine is a good 87. You know how it is, the grass is always greener...

I would disagree about the early C5 vs the late C4. I had a '97 and it had some minor issues, but the C5 is a better platform than the C4. Just my $0.02-

I am not sure about what the price should be.

date sold price year make model miles

04/03/2008 $28,800.00 2005 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 31242
03/13/2008 $31,800.00 2005 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 27955
03/20/2008 $20,600.00 2002 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 59031

a sampling of results from the local dealer auction. these are the only c-5's shown at this time.....

Kelly Blue Book lists this car at:

$15,700 for private party value (good condition)

$18,700 for dealer (excellent condition)

I'd do some shopping for private party autos with records and low miles. There are points to consider, for instance, the tires! New tires are a plus and since you are aware that replacing all 4 corners on a Vette is not chump change you can use that as a bargaining chip.

Tires were a sore spot when I bought my car and I did beat the price down ..... but I wish I knew the replacement price when I did. I just didn't beat it down enough and the sticker shock .... I had to hide the tire purchase from my wife.

I would disagree about the early C5 vs the late C4. I had a '97 and it had some minor issues, but the C5 is a better platform than the C4. Just my $0.02-

I am not sure about what the price should be.

It's all subjective as to what someone means when they say "better". There's no debate, the C5 platform is superior to the C4. The thing vett boy was pointing out is that the early C5s seem to have some issues. Column lock, oil consumption, a block that can only be bored .005 over.

I took the point to mean, a reliable 87 is better than a buggy 98, meaning, you'd get more seat time in the reliable car. It looks like the C5 over priced by about 4k. But even if I could get it for the right price, if it's going to have issues, that's not any fun.

Kelly Blue Book lists this car at:

$15,700 for private party value (good condition)

$18,700 for dealer (excellent condition)

I'd do some shopping for private party autos with records and low miles. There are points to consider, for instance, the tires! New tires are a plus and since you are aware that replacing all 4 corners on a Vette is not chump change you can use that as a bargaining chip.

Tires were a sore spot when I bought my car and I did beat the price down ..... but I wish I knew the replacement price when I did. I just didn't beat it down enough and the sticker shock .... I had to hide the tire purchase from my wife.

The 98 has new wheels, tires, and dual roof panels. I get the kbb at $19.5k for an excellent 98 with the dual panels. Still about $3.5k too much.

97 and 98 had a few problems. A late c-4 is a better car. C-5's we're a better built car when ya get up to 2002 and newer. I wouldn't pay 23k for one.
Hey VetteBoy - That's a bunch of bunk, next thing you'll say is your C5 was better than your new C6! :boogie

I'll agree the C5's got better as the years progressed but no way were late model C4's better than 1997/1998 C5's.

BTW - Here's a picture link of my 1996 LT4 in the Smokies, it was nice but not near the quality/engineering of a C5...

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Hey VetteBoy - That's a bunch of bunk, next thing you'll say is your C5 was better than your new C6! :boogie

I'll agree the C5's got better as the years progressed but no way were late model C4's better than 1997/1998 C5's.

BTW - Here's a picture link of my 1996 LT4 in the Smokies, it was nice but not near the quality/engineering of a C5...

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
Your possibly right.Sittin' in my new 09 for the first time i'll probibly say "want my c-5 back":boogie

date sold price year make model miles

04/03/2008 $28,800.00 2005 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 31242
03/13/2008 $31,800.00 2005 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 27955
03/20/2008 $20,600.00 2002 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 59031

a sampling of results from the local dealer auction. these are the only c-5's shown at this time.....
Actually Freddie that is 1 C5 and 2 C6's!!:D:D:D

Saw a maroon 1998, (don't know the C5 colors, sorry), C5 at a dealer today. It has new tires and wheels, 22k on the clock, 2 tops, auto. The dealer wants $23k for it. What's it worth?
Too much, it just isn't as desireable as a newer one. Keep looking, C5's are great performance cars at bargan prices. You'll find a newer C5 or an older C5 that is priced better. BTW As the C5 years progress, the cars got better and some years did have their problems. Good luck!

I had a C4 before I bought my 98. I don't want the C4 back. I have not had any problems in 3 years with the 98.

I have a '98 Lt. Carmine Red Metallic convertible and I LOVE it! :D

Issues: I bought mine in 2004 with 25,000 miles on it and it's been a great Vette. I've never had any oil consumption issues and the column lock recall was probably done long ago on the one you're looking at, as it was on mine. The dealer should be able to verify that for you.

The only issue I had with mine relates to the infamous leaking battery issue in early C5's. After I'd had it about 6 months, I got a check engine light and reduced power code one day. I killed it and after talking to my mechanic by phone, I cranked it back up and drove it to his shop.

He determined the tac module needed to be replaced and suggested I take it the dealer to let them check it, as we thought it would be covered by my warranty. The dealership came back at me with the explanation that a previous battery had leaked at sometime and a $3400 estimate claiming I needed to replace the wiring harness, and (I think) the BCM! And it would not be covered by warranty either. After they revived me, I called Kevin back and he thankfully told me to bring it back to him.

Long story short - he went through the front passenger wheel well, checked the wiring harness, replaced the tac module, cleaned and applied a baking soda wash to everything he could get to in the vacinity. Then he sealed everything possible with the liquid stuff that hardens into a plastic shell and fabricated and installed a battery box to contain any future leaks.

Parts and labor came to $427. I'm just short of 85,000 miles and it's never caused me another moment of grief.

I don't know what the one you're looking at would go for, but $23,000 for a coupe sounds high to me.

After saying all that, I'd suggest buying the latest model you can afford because every year of the C5 model run was better than the year before. But I wouldn't walk away just because it's a '97 or '98.

Good luck with your search. :upthumbs

:wJane Ann

BTW - here's a recent photo of mine - for color comparison, of course:;)

HPIM0197_900.jpg

Parts and labor came to $427. I'm just short of 85,000 miles and it's never caused me another moment of grief.
:wJane Ann

Jane Ann,

After having the dealer quote you $3,400.00 for the same repair, I hope you tipped your mechanic!!! See, if one looks hard enough, one can find great technicians! :upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom