Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Saw a 1998, what's it worth?

Jane Ann,
That's the color of the one I looked at. I love that color.

Oh, and you need to hang out at better places. That Saloon looks like a real dive.

I always tip my mechanics, Chris and Kevin, and I bring them t-shirts or ball caps when I go on trips. Kevin has saved my bacon many times. :_rock

DaleD said:
you need to hang out at better places. That Saloon looks like a real dive

:L That's all Katrina left of it.

:wJane Ann

Jane Ann,
That's the color of the one I looked at. I love that color.

Oh, and you need to hang out at better places. That Saloon looks like a real dive.
Well just thanks Dale ,Thanks a lot:madI've been PM'n Jane Ann tryin' to convince her that we should buy the place.She said no but I could tell she was startin' to give in a little till ya put the nail in my coffin.;)

Well just thanks Dale ,Thanks a lot:madI've been PM'n Jane Ann tryin' to convince her that we should buy the place.She said no but I could tell she was startin' to give in a little till ya put the nail in my coffin.;)

Oh, did I say "dive"?! I mean it would be good to drive to. Yeah, that's the ticket. :D

I mean it would be good to drive to.
I think you meant drive through:boogie

Vet Boy You are absolutely wright, White Vetts are the best. It's a well known fact they are the most reliable and fastest of all others;LOL.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with early C5's. If the car is well taken care of a year won't mean much, accept lower price. The mentioned issues plagued entire C5 line up through the years. The $$$ difference between 98 and 04 will buy lots of nice aftermarket goodies to make the car the way you wont and will take care of many issues like column lock, etc. Stick to your budget and find the lowest mileage vehicle, that's my .02.:w

Oh, did I say "dive"?! I mean it would be good to drive to. Yeah, that's the ticket. :D
:boogie

I told Steve we could probably buy it dirt cheap - but we'd never be able to afford insurance on it at the new rates. :beer

BTW Dale... here's a link to the CAC Gallery. click

Click on my username in the "Top Posters" box on the left and you can see lots of photos of my Carmine Red in different settings and light conditions.

And while I'm at it, here's a couple more links to assist you.
The CAC Model Center index - click
The CAC Buyers Form - click

And again - good luck in your search! If you see something interesting post your questions and ideas and we'll give you all the feedback you can stand. :chuckle

I have a '98 Lt. Carmine Red Metallic convertible and I LOVE it! :D

Issues: I bought mine in 2004 with 25,000 miles on it and it's been a great Vette. I've never had any oil consumption issues and the column lock recall was probably done long ago on the one you're looking at, as it was on mine. The dealer should be able to verify that for you.

The only issue I had with mine relates to the infamous leaking battery issue in early C5's. After I'd had it about 6 months, I got a check engine light and reduced power code one day. I killed it and after talking to my mechanic by phone, I cranked it back up and drove it to his shop.

He determined the tac module needed to be replaced and suggested I take it the dealer to let them check it, as we thought it would be covered by my warranty. The dealership came back at me with the explanation that a previous battery had leaked at sometime and a $3400 estimate claiming I needed to replace the wiring harness, and (I think) the BCM! And it would not be covered by warranty either. After they revived me, I called Kevin back and he thankfully told me to bring it back to him.

Long story short - he went through the front passenger wheel well, checked the wiring harness, replaced the tac module, cleaned and applied a baking soda wash to everything he could get to in the vacinity. Then he sealed everything possible with the liquid stuff that hardens into a plastic shell and fabricated and installed a battery box to contain any future leaks.

Parts and labor came to $427. I'm just short of 85,000 miles and it's never caused me another moment of grief.

I don't know what the one you're looking at would go for, but $23,000 for a coupe sounds high to me.

After saying all that, I'd suggest buying the latest model you can afford because every year of the C5 model run was better than the year before. But I wouldn't walk away just because it's a '97 or '98.

Good luck with your search. :upthumbs

BTW - here's a recent photo of mine - for color comparison, of course:;)

HPIM0197_900.jpg

What a beautiful picture!
Jane Ann, didn't you have a Z06 at one time?

What a beautiful picture!
Jane Ann, didn't you have a Z06 at one time?

Thank you!

No Z06. I had a '94 that I sold a week after I bought my '98. A Z06 would be fun but I couldn't stand all that shifting. :L

One thing I like about the C5 exterior style is the fact you can be hard pressed to tell the difference between a '97 and an '04. Body style did not change one bit. If you install later model wheels you can really fool the general public! OR if you really know your colors, you can narrow down the year.

SAVE THE :w

I'm proud of my 99 being a 99, why would I want to fool anyone? That's like saying my 70 monte Carlo is a 72, as they are the same body style, but what's the point?

I think I understand what Greg means. With the C5 design and minor changes throughout the generation, it has an almost timeless aspect to it. I know people would often ask me "is it new?" especially since I've kept it up so well. Even now with the C6 out, I still get that question from the uninitiated.

Of course, to the enthusiast, it's much easier to guess mine is a pre-2000 model because I have the wide spoke or wagon wheel rims on it.

I'm sure to some, it would be frustrating to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a new car, then have it apprear dated when a drastically changed model comes out.

It is timeless. I run my wagon wheels sometimes, i love them. Especially because they let people know it's an older Vette, but still looks great. Back to the original topic, 18k would be a fair price for an average 98. And that's alot of car for under 20k.

Yep, I'm figuring out the dealer is way too high. Actually, it's good he is that high, it removes temptation. At the end of last year I just got the bugs out of my C4. Added stuff to the C4 this spring. I'm going to enjoy the C4 one more season, and then probably go to a C5 next year.

If you make him a lowball offer, with cash in hand, you may be surprised, he might take it. Especially the way retail sales are today. I've done it succesfully many times.

If you make him a lowball offer, with cash in hand, you may be surprised, he might take it. Especially the way retail sales are today. I've done it succesfully many times.

Since I have a C4, I'd have to sell it first, or buy the C5 and put the C4 up for sale. If I tried to trade it, he'd kill me on trade in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom