Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Scraping noise from fear end area, 63 SWC 327/300 4 speed

tmpugel

Corvette
1963 SWC
I have a noise from the rear end that is hard to describe other than a scraping or slapping sound on acceleration in first gear and again on braking. It has drum brakes. The sound seems to be from the rear end not the wheels. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? I am not a mechanic but want to go to one with some knowlege as to where to look. The car is a '63 SWC 327/300hp 4 speed.
Thanks,
Tom

I have a noise from the rear end that is hard to describe other than a scraping or slapping sound on acceleration in first gear and again on braking. It has drum brakes. The sound seems to be from the rear end not the wheels. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? I am not a mechanic but want to go to one with some knowlege as to where to look. The car is a '63 SWC 327/300hp 4 speed.
Thanks,
Tom

Tom if it was only when you brake I would say it it time for new brake shoes but you say it also happens when you accelerate in first gear. I have owned 5 or 6 SWC and I have not a clue what would be making that happen. Sorry wish I could help.

Welcome to the CAC.

Get it up on a lift and visually check for anything obvious. Roll the wheels with the car in neutral and watch and listen for anything out of the norm. It may be easy to spot or you may need to take it to a trusted shop for diagnosis.

Tom

We have a 63 in the shop right now that also had an odd noise when taking off hard. On this car it was the bushings in the center, forward mount. The mount/bracket keeps the axle from rotating on acceleration or brakeing and when the bushing goes bad the center section rotates slightly and can make any nimber of odd noises.

We have a 63 in the shop right now that also had an odd noise when taking off hard. On this car it was the bushings in the center, forward mount. The mount/bracket keeps the axle from rotating on acceleration or brakeing and when the bushing goes bad the center section rotates slightly and can make any nimber of odd noises.

I agree - that's the first thing I'd look at; when the diff nose bracket-to-frame bushings deteriorate, you can get metal-to-metal contact between the bracket, bolt, and the frame, and it can allow the diff to rotate up enough under acceleration to cause the pinion flange U-joint to rub the bottom of the tunnel. Use the correct OEM rubber bushings with the molded-in spacer and bonded washer, NOT the urethane hot-rod parts.

:beer

Ditto,
Get her up off the wheels at take a look at the area JohnZ mentioned. Also check each rear wheel for play in and out up and down. Could be a rear wheel bearing (scraping noise?). Let us know what you find.

Fred

Another problem with the rear axle housing nose bracket is if the holes in the bracket become elongaged. Once that happens, no amount of tightening the bolts will stop it.

You have to replace the bracket.

My recollection is that the 63-64 brackets had a chronic problem with this issue. Later starting in 65...or maybe it was 68...the holes had reinforcing washers welded around them.

Another problem with the rear axle housing nose bracket is if the holes in the bracket become elongaged. Once that happens, no amount of tightening the bolts will stop it.

You have to replace the bracket.

My recollection is that the 63-64 brackets had a chronic problem with this issue. Later starting in 65...or maybe it was 68...the holes had reinforcing washers welded around them.

That's correct - photo below shows the '63 bracket on the right, and the mid-'64-up bracket on the left with the washers welded over the forward holes; '68-up had a full-length reinforcement over both holes.

Thanks for the input. I'm taking the car to the shop on Friday, May 14th for a look. If the problem is the axle housing nose brackett, will a '64 fit a '63? I'd like to go with the reinforced washers welded in place.
Thanks,
Tom

I had the car to the shop and up on the lift this morning. One of the bolts on the diff. nose bracket was loose but there are no signs of rubbing on the tunnel. The drive shaft has a slight abrasion that looks like it may have rubbed the frame crossmember. When I drove away the noise was still there but it didn't seem as bad...that is difficult to judge.
Another problem not mentioned in this thread was the transmission getting stuck in a forward gear (the prime reason for the trip to the shop). The nut holding the front arm to the transmission was loose, it was tightened, the linkage readjusted and hopefully that problem is solved.
Thanks for the advice and help.
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom