Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Scratched Window Glass

kfehling

Corvette
1996 Collector Edition
I have noticed that I have the beginings of some scratches on the outside of the driver's side window glass near the side mirror.:mad My car is a '96 CE. I thought that there were some posts on this subject but have failed to locate any. The scratches are vertical and appear to be caused by something within the door itself. Any thoughts on what has happened and how to repair it?

What caused it I can't help you with but there are kits available to sand out scratches as long as they are not too deep. I know I've seen them in my catalogs. I just don't know which one.

That's the problem with having so many damn catalogs:)

Hunt through your catalogs and I'm sure you'll come up with it.
Good Luck
Carlo

Its caused by a screw or rivet holding the rubber seal to the door frame on the outside of the window. I saw this posted on another forum. I have seen and heard of this problem on a lot on later C4's. You can polish the scratch out if it's not too deep but it will come back until the problem is fixed. The shop manual should detail how to R&R this part. I haven't gotten around to repairing mine yet.:bang

My '94 has the same scratches. I'm glad to hear there is a do-it-yourself repair.

However, the main reason I wanted to reply is to tell you that when I purchased my '94, in December, the window would over extend on the front edge. This caused the top, back corner of the window to actually hit the body cross piece. I could bump the window down and it would straighten, but I took it to our local Chevy dealer to have it repaired. It cost me $68 for the labor and $10.65 for parts, but he also rubbed out the cross member. I mention all of this just to let you know that if your window is still tracking true, it may not be long until it is not.

Good luck, and happy motoring.

Doug

I had heard from those kits that if you run your fingernail across the scratch and it catch'ss it's too deep for those polishing kits to get out

Light scratches in the out side of the door glass is caused by dirt or something stuck in the outter glass seal, you will need to replace the outter glass seal also or any repair you make will only show up again, not that uncommon of a problem I would also loosen the two anti-rattle inner guides on the top inside of the door, sometime they can be real tight adding to extra wear to the out side of the glass. If the glass overtravels and hits the "B" pillar you have a broken front door glass guide, this is also a very common problem and there can be a lot of damange done if left alone for to long. Rivits sticking out to far will uasualy cause a good and eep scrape and also give you a scrapping noise but light scratches about an 1" wide are what you would find from problems with the outter glass seal.

David Fulcher

You may find that the plastic shield over the mirror bolts is contacting the glass. I cut 1\4' off the bolts so that it could not get close enough to on the rub the glass. Just a little dirt in there will do it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom