Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seafoam in the crankcase works well!!

formul8

Corvette
1994 Coupe Blk/blk
I ran some generic Autozone oil and cheap FRAM filter along with a 1/3 can of seafoam in the crankcase since the car sat for a long time without being started.

Only kept the stuff in for a 175 miles or so and WOW, was the oil dirty!!! I ran it there to get rid of any moisture and free up a lifter.

Mobil 1 filter and synthetic in there now and the oil temp dropped about 5 degrees and coolant is down about 3-5 degrees.

I am not surprised at your results. I know a lot of people are skeptical of fixes in a bottle.

I, too, have seen the results of some of these fixes.

Good for you! :upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

I put 1/3 in the gas tank and 1/3 through the brake booster in the intake. I did not get the massive smoke show like some videos on YouTube, but it did smoke a little. Got rid of the "right bank lean" DTC, though!

:upthumbs

SeaFoam is amazing stuff. Works for many things,from cleaning fuel system, cleaning crankcase to just making a bad fill of fuel run better. I always keep a couple cans on the shelf.

Glenn
:w

I ran some generic Autozone oil and cheap FRAM filter along with a 1/3 can of seafoam in the crankcase since the car sat for a long time without being started.

Only kept the stuff in for a 175 miles or so and WOW, was the oil dirty!!! I ran it there to get rid of any moisture and free up a lifter.

Mobil 1 filter and synthetic in there now and the oil temp dropped about 5 degrees and coolant is down about 3-5 degrees.

There is nothing better, if you want to damage your engine, than running a cheap, low-quality oil combined with freakin' Sea Foam which, basically is naptha (a moderately strong solvent and an oil thinner) and a crappy and restrictive FRAM Oil filter.

It's amazing how many of people buy into the Sea Foam myth.

It was fortunate that you only drove the car 175 miles with that mix in the engine.

And...OF COURSE, you're going to get some dark color to the oil after running a solvent through the engine. You could put Sea Foam, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, pure naptha or any other solvent though the engine and get the same darn result.

The reason your oil and coolant temps are lower after putting a good synthetic oil in the engine is....less friction.

This is the same guy that fixed his window motor by changing the courtesy light bulb.
:eyerole

This is the same guy that fixed his window motor by changing the courtesy light bulb.

I must have missed that post. Can you provide a link to it? :L

BTW... when I saw you had only 4 posts I was going to welcome you to the CAC then I noticed you've been a member since 2003. So we'll make it welcome back. :thumb

:wJane Ann

Did it fix the window motor? No, but the power window started working after replacing the BROKEN courtesy light bulb in the door. I am still scratching my head on that one.

You going to troll over here too, Eddie? :wtcslap

There is nothing better, if you want to damage your engine, than running a cheap, low-quality oil combined with freakin' Sea Foam which, basically is naptha (a moderately strong solvent and an oil thinner) and a crappy and restrictive FRAM Oil filter.

It was fortunate that you only drove the car 175 miles with that mix in the engine.

And...OF COURSE, you're going to get some dark color to the oil after running a solvent through the engine. You could put Sea Foam, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, pure naptha or any other solvent though the engine and get the same darn result.

The reason your oil and coolant temps are lower after putting a good synthetic oil in the engine is....less friction.

Which is why I ran only a small amount of the stuff for a very short time. The crap oil and crap filter were in there when I bought it and run for about 5 miles before I bought it to flush the motor before re-adding synthetic. A shotglass amount of seafoam will not wipe out an engine that is in good shape to begin with, nor will crap oil or a crap FRAM filter.

I know FRAM is junk. My '96 Z28, whih just happened to have the same exact motor as this car, went 55K miles on regular dino oil with no problem. I know Seafoam is a solvent because magic pixie dust was not listed as one of the ingredients.

All I can say is, lifter tick went away and engine runs a bit better. Oil was BLACK. The Seafoam was in there for maybe 75 of those miles.

Of course synthetic lowers engine temps. It is required because there is no oil cooler, we all know that. The car was driven easily and was only going to go a short time with this oil. Certainly not enough time to damage the engine since there was a small amount of the seafoam added and the oil level was checked to make sure it was topped off at all times.

Say what you will, but the stuff works well.

GM actually makes version of this don't they ?

GM Top end cleaner ?:thumb Is that the same basic thing ?

I have a can of it on my shelf right now.

Toxic stuff, but works great. I'm not sure I'm going to pump it through my LT-1 though.

Another old time solution to fix lifters was to top off the oil with automatic transmission fluid and run the engine a short distance (just until it was good and warm)drain the oil and replace the filter.

Does this work on the 1960 vette my dad had every time it got a little stuck lifter noise we did this and the car ran 250,000 miles before we sold it.

The reason for the transmission oil was it was the best detergent oil available so it not only was able to clean up the engine it also was a high grade oil.

Before you wonder how we came up with this idea it was what GM was telling the dealers to do when they had a customer complaint about a noisy engine. This was the standard fix for cars that were only driven on Sunday's and to the grocery stores and doctor's.:)

ok so sea foam or no, or just transmission fluid?

years ago, i had a friend tell me about transmission fluid trick, and i asked him what the heck he was smoking.

lo and behold, he was right... sum beeeaa.....

ok so i been thinking about sea foam in my 80 cause i've done about everything i can think of and it still intermittently runs a little rough, kind of like a vacum leak, but not all the time, sometimes it does it with engine cold, sometimes not, sometimes with engine warm, sometimes not..

oh its a mystery :confused

freakng driving me nuts.. starting to wonder if its gas lines, fuel pump, gas tank rust maybe... duno .. going to try some "Heet" maybe before sea foam.. ..

I dont dare put that in my 87 convertible .. which runs pretty good, knock on wooden head...

so is seafoam ok to put down the carb? in gas tank?

thanks,
tk:w

i used diesel fuel in the exact same manner...and poured it through the carb..more smoke than a redstone rocket....
but everyone knows diesel will free a locked up motor...and clean a nasty one...well everyone where i come from

years ago, i had a friend tell me about transmission fluid trick, and i asked him what the heck he was smoking.

lo and behold, he was right... sum beeeaa.....
ATF cleans Like a White Tornado!!:thumb:thumb:thumbFrees up sticky noisy lifters, valves and rings purdy quick!:thumb:thumb:thumb I do it to older engines that set around allot or have valve and engine noise from lack of oil changes, and proper maintenance!! 1/2 Qt ATF in the oil and take it out and run it sometimes a couple days and then change the oil!! Does the same thing as Rislone,Marvel Mystery Oil,Sea Foam,CD2 or other product designed to clean the internal engine parts!!:thumb:thumb:thumb Been doing it for 35+ years,ain't Killed one yet,just makes them run Quieter,Smoother and even frees up stuck rings from setting around that can stop oil consumption!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

What brand of oil filter do you suggest?

I heard it cures gout, and someone said it's good for hangnails too uh huh!

RabbitOutOfHat.jpg

snake-oil.jpg

snake-oil-21.jpg

I heard it cures gout, and someone said it's good for hangnails too uh huh!

RabbitOutOfHat.jpg

snake-oil.jpg

snake-oil-21.jpg

Naaa it don't cure gout, you need WD45 for that.
I would make a list of some Sea Foam positive results but I don't have all night. Never had a negative result.

Glenn

Naaa it don't cure gout, you need WD45 for that.

I heard that too, but I heard it on the internet, and Algore invented it, so it's probably true...

maybe we can use that for

Swine flu!!

or I should use the PC term, H1N1:upthumbs

6 Florida Gators out from practice today with flu like symptoms :confused

I'm freakin staying home ;LOL;help

Gimme dat snake oil ;help

tk:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom