Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sealant for rubber trim on Aerobody lens?

jonstr

When I first got my car, the thin rubber strip around left front lens was coming off. I did a lousy job of glueing it back in place, and it never looked right.

Today when I was washing the car it came off again, so this is my chance to fix it right. Once I cleaned out the glue I used, it looks like it is attached with some black sealant, but I can't tell if that is an old repair or original.

Does anybody know what Callaway used to attach those rubber pieces? If not, any recommendations?

Jonstr,

I'll look in my Aerobody installation manual when I get home. I wonder thought if its is Black Silicone sealant.

I recall Mark-D telling me that it was aircraft silicone...high tech stuff....stict to your tounge

I'm not 100% sure what it is, but if I had to guess, I would say it's the same silicone that is used to seal winshields.

When I first got my car, the thin rubber strip around left front lens was coming off. I did a lousy job of glueing it back in place, and it never looked right.

Today when I was washing the car it came off again, so this is my chance to fix it right. Once I cleaned out the glue I used, it looks like it is attached with some black sealant, but I can't tell if that is an old repair or original.

Does anybody know what Callaway used to attach those rubber pieces? If not, any recommendations?

:beer http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102406

I thought it was 3M black silicone sealer. That is what they shipped with the Aerobody kits.

I thought it was 3M black silicone sealer. That is what they shipped with the Aerobody kits.

I'm not 100% sure what it is, but if I had to guess, I would say it's the same silicone that is used to seal winshields.

So that sounds like 3 votes for this stuff that Chris posted:

mediawebserver

4 votes if I count critt99's, since I'm pretty sure this stuff would stick to your tongue. :D

I'll see if I can find some of this and give it a go. Thanks everyone!

Luigi - if you find something different in your assembly manual, please let me know.

That is the stuff...but on my white car (due to the higher HP ;) ) we went with the Bell Helicopter Sealant from DuPont. I'll have to get the part number. It looks like a factory gasket all the way around but it may just be who / how it is installed. The supont material has a factory headlight gasket appearance which I think is superior to the Black Silicone. I used black silicone on it before though and it works just fine.

The big secret is to coat your hand in liquid soap (literally) and any part on teh car you don't want the stuff to stick to. This way you can smooth it perfectly without a sticky mess everywhere.

You'll need the O-Ring material from Callaway - it is very cheap ($7 total I think for both rears). I can't remember what size it was but with the price of gas it is just easier to call Joanne and have her mail it to you. Specify how many feet or which lens. If you go with the lens it will be precut to the correct length when it arrives.

That is the stuff...but on my white car (due to the higher HP ;) ) we went with the Bell Helicopter Sealant from DuPont. I'll have to get the part number. It looks like a factory gasket all the way around but it may just be who / how it is installed. The supont material has a factory headlight gasket appearance which I think is superior to the Black Silicone. I used black silicone on it before though and it works just fine.

The big secret is to coat your hand in liquid soap (literally) and any part on teh car you don't want the stuff to stick to. This way you can smooth it perfectly without a sticky mess everywhere.

You'll need the O-Ring material from Callaway - it is very cheap ($7 total I think for both rears). I can't remember what size it was but with the price of gas it is just easier to call Joanne and have her mail it to you. Specify how many feet or which lens. If you go with the lens it will be precut to the correct length when it arrives.

According to the Aerobody installation manual it is Black Silicone R.T.V. sealant and it does tell you to use soap as Showview advises.

-Luigi
:cool

FYI Using the O ring with the black silicone sure makes future servicing much easier than just the Black Silicone alone

I agree with the Black Silcone-not the windshield glue.

I agree with the black silicone being used when the directions were written however, the last AeroBodies I saw installed, used the 3M glass adhesive ;shrug

For masking tips, check out the COG Gallery - look under Pete's Callaway of the Month pics from 2003 :w

Was it the clear glass adhesive? I used that on the silver car as I thought it looked much better than black - but just on that car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom