Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seatbelt And Airbag Lights Stay On

D

dinosaurdoctor

HI GUYS I KNOW SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS FOUGHT THIS BATTLE.I HAVE READ ALL THE TROUBLESHOOTING INFO IN THE EMAILS.IS THERE SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT THEM BOTH STAYING ON?THANK YOU

dinosaurdoctor,

Usually having both the Seatbelt and Airbag (INFL REST) light on, especially in a 1990 MY, means the Central Control Module (CCM) has detected a poor ground condition and stored a code (16 or 26) which is most likely due to a "Poor Sensor Ground" on one of the 2 Supplamental Inflatable Restraint(SIR) sensors located on the front frame rails. :(

Here's an excellent link on the condition and it's repair:
INFL REST Sensor Repair

That's the ticket....

But you will need to buy the Mid America reset tool 30.00 buck ish only works with the 90. Scott's article only deals with the drivers side sensor... there's one on the pass side too!

Mike

Mike,

Don't spend his hard earned money soooo fast. You can turn the light off by following the sequence set forth by G.M. by turning the key on and off, grounding and ungrounded the appropriate diagnostic leads for the 3 second intervals.

Okay, you might have to do it two or three times, but you get the hang of it pretty quick--for free (less a piece of wire or paper clip)

Chris

Could you post the magic sequence..I have no reference to it..

Mike

Yep,

Give me a day or two, and I will look it up and print it here.

It is right in the official 1990 G.M. service manual in the Air Bag diagnostic section.

I have had to clean off the grounds twice, and reset the light.

Here are the destructions straight from G.M.

1. Turn ignition off
2. Ground ALDL Terminal K (this is the lower row, 3rd from the right).
3. Turn ignition on
4. Wait for fault codes to begin flashing (approx 5 seconds). When the codes begin flashing, unground ALDL terminal K for 3 seconds + or - 1/2 second.
5. After ungrounding ALDL K as described in step 3 above, ground it again for 3 seconds + or - 1/2 second.
6. Unground ALDL K and wait 10 seconds. Before turning the ignition OFF, verify that code 12 is the only code being flased (this is the seatbelt/air bag light flashing). If not, codes have not been properly cleared. Repeat from step one if codes not cleared until the codes clear.

When I do this, I put a jumper wire on K and used some aligator clips to ground it to the driver door hing (cuz I have the door open the whole time). You can ground, unground th aligator clip to the jumper to clear the code.

See, I saved you some money!

Hi boys...will this one work if only the SEATBELT light is on ?
Max

Max

Are you getting a light on the DIC, or I/P where the gauges are?

If on the DIC, this should be the procedure.

The light is on the I/P. I have been talking with Mike on the mather but loking at al the cables under the dash made me afraid so i think i djust remove the bulb.
Max

Chris

LOVE the avitar. Maybe our avitars should get together and chase some puddytats.:D

Our dogs could not chase their way out of a wet paper sack. They think they can though.

It was time for Homer in the buff to go. The male dog would not sit still long enough for a good picture.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom