Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Security Gremlin on an 84

L

lifeguard_bss

It seems that the security system on my 84 has decided that I should not start the car (I do not share that opinion however!). I am going to try to change the battery in the key fob though I don't think that is the problem. Since this has cropped up what I would REALLY like to do is just disable the alarm system altogether. The car lives in my garage and I don't really need it or the headache. My question is if anyone knows either how to get this resolved or even better how do just disable the system.
Thanks for the help everyone -- I am a newbie here and everyone has been great! :v

Key fob for an 84?...do you have an aftermarket system in the car? I suggest this because 84s didn't use a fob. Anyway, try using the door key in the passenger side door. Unlock it and see if it starts. And to dismantel the system you need to take the center face plate off and remove the fuse.

Security Bypass

I disabled my '87 with the VAT Bypass sold by Mid America.
It's cheap and easy to install.
I assume they will also handle the '84, but check with them.

I will try

those suggestions. I did not know that there was no 84 key fob, so it must be some aftermarket junk. However, my info center on the dash blinks the security message so there is some part of the original that is "securing me out" anyways. Also, thanks for the tip on the passenger door -- I will try it. I locked and unlocked the DRIVER door with the key, and thought that would do it, but never did try the passenger. I also need to pull the dash anyways to get at my intermittently annoying cluster (and from other posts I see that I am not alone). Maybe I can kill a few birds with the same stone.

Also thanks for the info on the VATS bypass. If the others fail then I will try that one.

Thank you

I am in Tolland, so I am quite a jump away from where you are. I truly do appreciate the offer though! I also took a peek at your site -- WOW -- incredible job! For anyone reading this who has not seen the site yet they should definitely take a peek!

JonM said:
The aftermarket could also be connected to the no start problem. Where in CT are you located...if you get stuck send me an email and I will give you my phone number..I am in East Haven

Connecticut

Yeah, but we are MASSIVE compared to Rhode Island and...... well, Rhode Island!

Problem solved - Thank you all!

Well, I tried the "lock and unlock the door" thing but no luck. Then I remembered something that I read on a site somewhere and decided to give it a try. I put a jumper on my negative battery terminal, then to a good ground. And YAHOOOOOOOO!!! she fired right up like a champ. God, I missed that growl! So now that my problem is figured out, can anyone help me out with the freakin' snow that is piling up in my driveway?

Thanks again for your input everyone!!! :beer

ratorto said:
I disabled my '87 with the VAT Bypass sold by Mid America.
It's cheap and easy to install.
I assume they will also handle the '84, but check with them.
I don't think the 84 had VATS.

vetteguy said:
I don't think the 84 had VATS.

VATS was introduced in 86. I'm not sure about keyless entry but I think it was around 92. I know it wasn't available in 87.

I would guess that your no start problem is because of the aftermarket alarm that someone installed.

Move to Florida. The driving weather is great all year. Especially this time of the year in Jacksonville the air is cool. It probably adds 50 hp to the 84. Ha Ha Ok it feels like it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom